What is the electric potential of a metal cylinder?

In summary, the electric potential of a metal cylinder can vary depending on the amount of positive or negative charges placed on it. Typically, a neutral metal cylinder will have an electric potential of 0. When considering the potential of a charged conducting cylinder, it is important to note that only differences in potential have physical meaning. This can be calculated using Gauss's law or Coulomb's law, both of which can easily be found through a simple Google search.
blatike
As the title says, what is the electric potential of a metal cylinder? If I am missing any variables, which variables do I need? My little brother asked me this but I don't want to turn up short-handed. I'm not really a physics guy

Physics news on Phys.org
The electrical potential could be anything depending on what you put on it. The more positive charges or the more negative charges you put on the metal cylinder, the stronger it's electric potential. A usual metal cylinder will be neutral, and so would have electric potential of 0.

What the potential is at the surface of a conductor is meaningless - only differences in potential have physical meaning. I believe the OP was asking what the potential of a charged conducting cylinder would be, in which case you can either approximate the cylinder as infinite and apply Gauss's law, or use Coulomb's law and integrate. Either way, the answer is easily available through google.

Related to What is the electric potential of a metal cylinder?

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential refers to the amount of electrical potential energy per unit of charge that is present in a given space or at a specific point in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential measured?

Electric potential is measured in units of volts (V) using a voltmeter. It can also be calculated by dividing the work done to move a charge through an electric field by the magnitude of the charge.

3. What is the significance of a metal cylinder in relation to electric potential?

A metal cylinder can act as a conductor, allowing the flow of electric charges through it. The electric potential of a metal cylinder is the result of the accumulation of charges on its surface and can affect the behavior of electric fields around it.

4. How does the electric potential of a metal cylinder vary?

The electric potential of a metal cylinder varies with distance from the center of the cylinder. It is highest at the center and decreases as distance from the center increases.

5. What factors affect the electric potential of a metal cylinder?

The electric potential of a metal cylinder is affected by its shape, size, and the amount of charge present on its surface. It can also be influenced by the presence of other electric charges or objects in its vicinity.