What is the equation for a perpendicular line to a given curve in a plane?

In summary, the equation describing the perpendicular line(s) from a given point to a curve is x- a+ (f(x)- b)f'(x)= 0. However, this equation can only be solved for specific functions and there is no general equation. The perpendicular to a curve at a given point is the same as the perpendicular to the tangent at that point, with a slope of -1/f'(x).
pixel01
Can anyone remind me about this. In a plane, there a given curve y=f(x). Now, from a given point on the plane, i can draw a line which is perpendicular to the curve (can be zero, one,two, three ..lines). I can't remember what the equation describing this line(s) is.
Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That's because there is not simple equation for it!

Here's how I attempt to find the equation. The perpendicular from a point, (a, b) to the curve (x, f(x)) gives the (locally) shortest distance to the curve. The distance (squared) from (a, b) to (x, f(x)) is (x-a)2+ (f(x)- b)2. Differentiating that, 2(x-a)+ 2(f(x)- b)f'(x)= 0 for the closest point. x must satisfy the equation x- a+ (f(x)- b)f'(x)= 0. That can be solved for specific f but I see no way to get a general equation.

Assuming you've got a nice function, the first derivative gives the tangent to the curve. The perpendicular to the curve at a given point is the same as the perpendicular to the tangent at that point. Specifically, the tangent at the point x is a line through x with slope f'(x). The perpendicular through the same point has slope -1/f'(x).

Related to What is the equation for a perpendicular line to a given curve in a plane?

1. What does it mean for a line to be perpendicular to a curve?

When a line is perpendicular to a curve, it means that it intersects the curve at a right angle or 90 degrees. This creates a tangent line at the point of intersection, which is perpendicular to the curve at that point.

2. How do you determine the equation of a line that is perpendicular to a given curve?

To find the equation of a line perpendicular to a curve at a specific point, you can use the derivative of the curve at that point. The slope of the perpendicular line will be the negative reciprocal of the slope of the curve at that point. Then, you can use the point-slope form or the slope-intercept form to find the equation of the line.

3. Can a curve have multiple lines that are perpendicular to it?

Yes, a curve can have multiple lines that are perpendicular to it at different points. This is because the slope of the curve can change at different points, resulting in different perpendicular lines to the curve.

4. How does the concept of perpendicularity apply to real-world situations?

The concept of perpendicularity is used in many real-world situations, such as construction, engineering, and navigation. For example, in construction, perpendicular lines are used to create right angles and ensure the stability of a structure. In navigation, perpendicular lines are used to determine the direction of travel and the shortest distance between two points.

5. Can a line be perpendicular to a curve at a point where the curve is not defined?

No, a line cannot be perpendicular to a curve at a point where the curve is not defined. This is because the slope of the curve is undefined at that point, and the concept of perpendicularity requires both lines to have defined slopes. Therefore, a line can only be perpendicular to a curve at points where the curve is defined and has a well-defined slope.