What Is the Geometrical Interpretation of Bounded Curves?

In summary: The property of boundedness means that the radius-vector of the curve is bounded, which is expressed by the inequality $$\sup_{s\ge 0}|\boldsymbol r(s)|<\infty.$$ This means that the curve does not extend infinitely far in any direction, but rather remains within a finite region of space. As for books on curves, I recommend "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Manfredo P. do Carmo and "Curves and Surfaces" by Sebastián Montiel and Antonio Ros.
wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
It is well known that a curve in ##\mathbb{R}^3## is uniquely (up to a position in the space) defined by its curvature ##\kappa(s)## and torsion ##\tau(s)##, here ##s## is the arc-length parameter. We will consider ##\kappa(s),\tau(s)\in C[0,\infty)##

Thus a natural problem arises: to restore features of the curve from given functions ##\kappa(s),\tau(s)##. This is not a simple problem: the Frenet-Serret equations are not in general integrable explicitly.A simplest property of the curve is boundedness. We shall say that a curve is bounded iff its radius-vector is bounded: $$\sup_{s\ge 0}|\boldsymbol r(s)|<\infty.$$

For example, if a function ##\kappa(s)/\tau(s)## is monotone and
$$\lim_{s\to\infty}\frac{\kappa(s)}{s\cdot\tau(s)}=0$$ then the curve is unbounded. This is an almost trivial fact, it follows from some another almost trivial theorem, for details see http://www.ma.utexas.edu/mp_arc/c/16/16-63.pdf

The comments are welcome. Particularly is there a geometrical interpretation of brought above proposition

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
wrobel said:
It is well known that a curve in ##\mathbb{R}^3## is uniquely (up to a position in the space) defined by its curvature ##\kappa(s)## and torsion ##\tau(s)##, here ##s## is the arc-length parameter. We will consider ##\kappa(s),\tau(s)\in C[0,\infty)##

Thus a natural problem arises: to restore features of the curve from given functions ##\kappa(s),\tau(s)##. This is not a simple problem: the Frenet-Serret equations are not in general integrable explicitly.A simplest property of the curve is boundedness. We shall say that a curve is bounded iff its radius-vector is bounded: $$\sup_{s\ge 0}|\boldsymbol r(s)|<\infty.$$

For example, if a function ##\kappa(s)/\tau(s)## is monotone and
$$\lim_{s\to\infty}\frac{\kappa(s)}{s\cdot\tau(s)}=0$$ then the curve is unbounded. This is an almost trivial fact, it follows from some another almost trivial theorem, for details see http://www.ma.utexas.edu/mp_arc/c/16/16-63.pdf

The comments are welcome. Particularly is there a geometrical interpretation of brought above proposition
I find it amazing. But will you explain me the restore features of curve. Actually I am going to read about curves in detail but I need little guidance. Can you name some of the books which I can buy.

I was saying that why you have used word bounded curves. Will you tell me its precise meaning.

Be more specific what you are saying

shina said:
was saying that why you have used word bounded curves. Will you tell me its precise meaning.
I have already done that

What are bounded curves?

Bounded curves are mathematical functions or equations that have a finite range or domain. This means that the curve has a beginning and an end, and does not extend infinitely in either direction.

What are some examples of bounded curves?

Some examples of bounded curves include circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas. These curves have specific equations that define their boundaries and do not extend infinitely in either direction.

How are bounded curves different from unbounded curves?

Bounded curves have a finite range or domain, while unbounded curves have an infinite range or domain. This means that unbounded curves can extend infinitely in one or both directions, while bounded curves have defined boundaries.

What is the importance of bounded curves in mathematics?

Bounded curves are important in mathematics because they allow for the modeling and analysis of real-life situations and phenomena. They also have many practical applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics.

How do you determine if a curve is bounded or unbounded?

To determine if a curve is bounded or unbounded, you can plot the curve and see if it has defined boundaries or extends infinitely in one or both directions. You can also look at the equation of the curve to see if it has finite or infinite values.