What is the Gravity GPM for a 1 pipe and 83 gal. fuel transfer tank?

In summary, a gravity flow system using a 1" fitting at the base of the tank with a 1" hose can deliver up to 5 GPM when in use.
docsmith
Gravity GPM for 1" pipe

I am in the process of buying an 83 gal. fuel transfer tank. The tank is 48"L x 20"H x 20"W. Instead of buying pumps for filling up my 5 gallon gas tanks I was thinking about using gravity flow. The builder can install a 1" fitting at the base of the tank with a 1" hose. The tank is going inside an enclosed trailer so I am limited on how high I can build the tank. I can build the tank 2 feet off of the floor of the trailer plus the 9 inch clearance from the floor of the trailer to the ground level. I will be using a ball valve to turn it off and on. What is the gallons per minute when in use. I understand that the GPM will vary depending on the amount of gallons in the tank. What is the GPM at 100% capacity, 50% capacity and 25% capacity?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF.

These formulas are good for estimating.

http://www.lmnoeng.com/Tank/TankTime.htm

Use a "full port" ball valve rather than a "standard port" for improved flow.

Try C = 0.5 in the formulas.

I have these (with some enhancements) programmed at work in MathCAD.

Let me know if you need any help !

docsmith said:
I am in the process of buying an 83 gal. fuel transfer tank. The tank is 48"L x 20"H x 20"W. Instead of buying pumps for filling up my 5 gallon gas tanks I was thinking about using gravity flow. The builder can install a 1" fitting at the base of the tank with a 1" hose. The tank is going inside an enclosed trailer so I am limited on how high I can build the tank. I can build the tank 2 feet off of the floor of the trailer plus the 9 inch clearance from the floor of the trailer to the ground level. I will be using a ball valve to turn it off and on. What is the gallons per minute when in use. I understand that the GPM will vary depending on the amount of gallons in the tank. What is the GPM at 100% capacity, 50% capacity and 25% capacity?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

A full solution requires the diimensions of the tank being filled and details about the hose and valve. But as a working solution the following apprach is probably adequate.

To solve this problem use Bernoulli's equation.

P +ρV2/2 + ρgh = HL

P is atmospheric pressure and in this case is a constant and can be ignored. Simplify by assuming Head Loss (flow resistance from hose and valve) is small and can be ignored.

So what you end up with is a term due to elevation head (ρgh) and a term due to flow (ρv2/2).

The elevation head term uses ρ the density of the fuel, gravity and the height of the fuel surface in the tank above the level in the 5 gallon tank. Basically the elevation head is converted to velocity head ρv2/2. The value of v is the velocity in the hose and ρ is still the density of the fuel.

So the equation becomes v = sqrt(2gh) since the density terms cancel out.

Finally the volumetric flow (gpm) can be found by multiplying the velocity v by the area of the hose.

BTW, Please ensure that you vent the tank outside the trailer for safety.

What is gravity GPM for 1 pipe?

Gravity GPM (gallons per minute) for 1 pipe refers to the amount of water that can flow through a single pipe due to the force of gravity. This is important to know when designing plumbing systems or calculating water usage.

How is gravity GPM for 1 pipe calculated?

The formula for calculating gravity GPM for 1 pipe is GPM = (Velocity x Pipe Area) / 0.408. The velocity can be measured in feet per second and the pipe area is in square inches. This calculation takes into account the force of gravity and the dimensions of the pipe.

What factors affect gravity GPM for 1 pipe?

The main factors that affect gravity GPM for 1 pipe include the diameter of the pipe, the length of the pipe, and the slope of the pipe. A larger diameter pipe will allow for more water flow, a longer pipe will decrease the GPM due to friction, and a steeper slope will increase the GPM.

Why is it important to know the gravity GPM for 1 pipe?

Knowing the gravity GPM for 1 pipe is essential for designing efficient plumbing systems and ensuring proper water flow. It can also help with troubleshooting and identifying any potential issues with the plumbing system.

How does gravity GPM for 1 pipe differ from pressure GPM?

Gravity GPM is based on the force of gravity, while pressure GPM is based on the pressure of the water in the pipe. Gravity GPM is typically lower than pressure GPM, as it does not take into account the additional force of water pressure.