What is the Image of the Complex Function f(z)=z+1/z on |z|>1?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the image of the function f(z)=z+\frac{1}{z} on the region |z|>1. It is noted that the image of the unit circle is the interval [-2,2] and for |z|>1, there will be an imaginary component. However, it is argued that the image is still the whole of ℂ, as the function produces a series of concentric ellipses as the value of r increases. A proof can be derived by showing there are always real solutions to x+iy = z + 1/z.
LikeMath
Let [itex]f(z)=z+\frac{1}{z}[/itex], the question is to find the image of this function on [itex]|z|>1[/itex].

To do so, I tried to find the image of the unit circle which is the interval [-2,2] and so I could not determine our image.

If also we tried to find the image of f we get
[itex]f(re^{i\theta})=u+iv[/itex]
where
[itex]u(re^{i\theta})=(r+\frac{1}{r})\cos \theta[/itex]
and
[itex]v(re^{i\theta})=(r-\frac{1}{r})\sin \theta[/itex]
with r>1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Arkuski said:
[itex]f(re^{iθ})=re^{iθ}+\frac{1}{re^{iθ}}[/itex]
[itex]f(re^{iθ})=re^{iθ}+re^{i(-θ)}[/itex]
No, [itex]f(re^{iθ})=re^{iθ}+e^{i(-θ)}/r[/itex]
At r=1 this comes to the same, so the image of |z|=1 is indeed the [-2,2] interval of ℝ. But for |z| > 1 there will be an imaginary component.
Looks to me like the image is still the whole of ℂ. As you increase r, the image becomes a series of concentric ellipses. A proof might be derivable by showing there are always real solutions to x+iy = z + 1/z.

Related to What is the Image of the Complex Function f(z)=z+1/z on |z|>1?

1. What is an image of a complex function?

An image of a complex function is the set of all possible outputs or values that the function can take on when the input is a complex number. In simpler terms, it is the graph or visual representation of the function.

2. How is the image of a complex function different from the image of a real function?

The image of a complex function is different from the image of a real function because the input and output values are complex numbers instead of real numbers. This means that the graph of a complex function will be in the complex plane, which has two dimensions (real and imaginary) instead of one like the real number line.

3. How can the image of a complex function be visualized?

The image of a complex function can be visualized in a few different ways. One way is by plotting the function on the complex plane, where the x-axis represents the real part of the input and the y-axis represents the imaginary part. Another way is by using color mapping to show how the complex output values correspond to different colors on the graph.

4. Can the image of a complex function contain infinitely many points?

Yes, the image of a complex function can contain infinitely many points. This is because complex numbers have infinite precision, so even a small change in the input can result in a different output. This allows for a continuous and infinite number of points on the graph of the complex function.

5. How is the image of a complex function useful in mathematics and science?

The image of a complex function is useful in mathematics and science because it helps visualize and understand the behavior of complex functions. It can also be used to solve equations and analyze patterns in data. In addition, the image of a complex function plays a crucial role in fields like physics, engineering, and economics, where complex numbers are used to model and describe real-world phenomena.