What is the inner product of two piecewise-defined functions?

In summary, the conversation discussed the inner product of two functions, f(x) and g(x), with specific definitions on different intervals. The first question asked for the inner product of f(x) over [0,2], which was solved by separating the integral into two parts and obtaining the values of 1/2 and 1/3. The second question asked for the inner product of f(x) and g(x), and it was mentioned that the interval for the inner product may be [1,2] based on the definitions of the functions. Further clarification was requested for the second question, and it was suggested that f and g may only be defined on [1,2].
Asuralm
Dear all:
I have a problem about the inner product of a function. Give a function

[tex]
\begin{displaymath}
f(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll}
x & \textrm{if $x \in [0,1]$}\\
-x+2 & \textrm{if $x \in (1, 2]$}
\end{array}
\end{displaymath}
\{[/tex]

What's the value of the inner product of the function itself over [0,2]?
[tex]
\begin{displaymath}
<f(x), f(x)> = \int_{x=0}^{x=2} f(x)f(x) d_x
\end{displaymath}
[/tex]]

If given another function
[tex]

g(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll}
x-1 & \textrm{if $x \in [1,2]$}\\
-x+3 & \textrm{if $x \in (2, 3]$}
\end{array}

\{[/tex]

What's the inner product of f(x) and g(x) please?

Thanks for answering.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For you first question you have to separate integral into two
One of them is from 0 to 1, the other is from 1 to 2.

For the second you have to explain on which interval we take the inner product they are from different worlds.

I know the principle actually. Could you give me the whole details please? Because I can't get the correct answer.

For question1
You have to get from integral(0-1) =1/2 and from integral(1-2) =1/3
If you did not then write what you did .Maybe we can find the mistake
It would be yours or mine

Last edited:
for question 2 : I am still waiting an explanation
It can be only defined on [1,2] i think

Last edited:
It's possible that the intention is that f and g vanish wherever not explicitly defined. Then you would be right, it would be like on [1,2]...

Related to What is the inner product of two piecewise-defined functions?

What is a function inner product?

A function inner product is a mathematical operation that takes two functions as inputs and produces a single number as an output. It is used to measure the similarity or "closeness" of two functions, and is an important concept in many branches of mathematics, including calculus, analysis, and linear algebra.

How is a function inner product calculated?

The exact calculation of a function inner product depends on the specific functions being used. However, in general, it involves taking the integral of the product of the two functions over a given interval. This can be thought of as finding the area under the curve formed by the product of the two functions.

What is the significance of a function inner product?

The function inner product is significant because it allows us to measure the "closeness" or similarity of two functions in a quantitative way. This is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, such as signal processing, optimization, and quantum mechanics.

What are some properties of function inner products?

Function inner products have several important properties, including linearity, symmetry, and positive definiteness. Linearity means that the inner product of a linear combination of functions is equal to the same linear combination of the inner products of the individual functions. Symmetry means that the order of the functions does not affect the result of the inner product. Positive definiteness means that the inner product of a function with itself is always a positive number.

How is a function inner product used in practical applications?

Function inner products have many practical applications, such as in image and signal processing, where they can be used to measure the similarity between two images or signals. They are also used in optimization problems, where they can help find the minimum or maximum of a given function. In quantum mechanics, they play a crucial role in calculating probabilities of different particle states.