What is the length of tangent AB in a geometry problem?

In summary: But 23.4 is a nice round number that fits the pattern.In summary, the book says that x=21cm, but when you plug that into the equation, it doesn't work because CR=CD, and so SD=0. So you need to get x closer to 23.4cm in order for it to work.
thunderhadron
Hi Friends,
I am getting problem in a geometry problem. Please help me to find the answer.
The problem is as follows:

AB, BC, CD, AD are the tangent of circle of radius 10 cm. and center O. If the length of BC = 38 cm and CD = 27 cm. Then find the length of AB. Here tangent AB and AD are perpendicular to each other.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s480x480/488010_3019784550925_1195152407_n.jpg

ATTEMPT :

Here AP=AQ

&

OP = OQ = 10 cm

∵ ∠ PAQ = 90°

∴ quadrilateral AQOP will be a square

∴ AQ = AP = 10 cm

Now, BQ = (x - 10)

Now, BQ = BR = (x-10)

So, CR = (11 + x) = CS

Now, SD = (16 - x) = DP
…….

But after this I am unable to complete this. The answer which the book is showing is,

x = 21 cm.

Please friends help me in finding out the answer. Thank you all in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Strange, x comes out to be 21 cm if CS=27 cm.

Pranav-Arora said:

how?

Can you explain how you got from this line:
Now, BQ = BR = (x-10)

to this line:
So, CR = (11 + x) = CS

Pranav-Arora said:

Yes, you could deduce that if CS=27cm, but it is not physically possible.
Thunderhadron, consider the angles BQ, DP and CR subtend at O. Call these α, β, γ. Can you see how to write γ in terms of α and β? What equations can you write for the tangents of these angles? (But I'm not sure this is the best way... Seems to lead to quartics.)

haruspex said:
Thunderhadron, consider the angles BQ, DP and CR subtend at O. Call these α, β, γ. Can you see how to write γ in terms of α and β? What equations can you write for the tangents of these angles? (But I'm not sure this is the best way... Seems to lead to quartics.)
Managed to get it down to a cubic, and found that the answer to the question as posed is about 23.4. It's easy to show that it must be more than 21. At 21, you'd have CR=CD, making SD zero.

Related to What is the length of tangent AB in a geometry problem?

1. What is general geometry?

General geometry is the branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of shapes and figures in a general or abstract sense. It is a broad field that encompasses various subtopics such as Euclidean geometry, trigonometry, and calculus.

2. How is general geometry different from other branches of geometry?

General geometry differs from other branches of geometry in that it focuses on the general properties and principles that apply to all shapes and figures, rather than specific types of shapes or figures. It also involves the use of algebraic equations and mathematical proofs to solve problems.

3. What are some practical applications of general geometry?

General geometry has many practical applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to design buildings and structures, create 3D models, and solve real-world problems involving measurements and proportions.

4. How do I approach a general geometry problem?

The first step in approaching a general geometry problem is to carefully read and understand the given information. Then, identify the unknown variables and try to visualize the problem. Next, choose the appropriate formula or theorem to solve the problem and apply it using algebraic equations. Finally, check your solution and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. Is it important to study general geometry?

Yes, studying general geometry is important for developing critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and mathematical reasoning. It also has practical applications in various fields and provides a strong foundation for further studies in mathematics and other related disciplines.