What is the limit of (a^n)/n for a>1?

In summary, the conversation discusses the limit of the sequence ##\frac{a^n}{n}## where ##a>1## and how to prove that it is ##+\infty##. One method mentioned is using L'Hopital's rule, but the speaker also asks for a proof without using advanced calculus concepts. Another approach is to show that the sequence is increasing and not bounded by using the ratio test for series. It is also mentioned that if the ratio of successive terms has a limit greater than 1, then the sequence diverges. Another method suggested is to write ##a## as ##1+h## and use the binomial theorem or logarithms to show that the sequence tends to infinity.
Delta2
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
The limit of the sequence ##a^n/n## for ##a>1## is ##+\infty## but how to prove it without reverting to limit of functions and using L'Hopital rule.
We have the limit of the sequence ##\frac{a^n}{n}## where ##a>1##. I know it is ##+\infty## and i can prove it by switching to the function ##\frac{a^x}{x}## and using L'Hopital.

But how do i prove it using more basic calculus, without the knowledge of functions and derivatives and L'Hopital.

I can prove that the sequence is increasing (after a certain ##n_0##) but have trouble proving that the sequence is not bounded. More specifically
$$\frac{a^n}{n}>M\Rightarrow n\ln a-\ln n>\ln M$$ and where do i go from here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##b_n=a^n/n##. The ratio of successive terms ##b_{n+1}/b_n=a\left(\frac{n}{n+1}\right)## tends to ##a>1## as ##n\to\infty##, so the sequence diverges to infinity (and by the "ratio test", this tells us the even stronger statement that ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n^{-1}## converges.)

Likes member 587159
Which theorem is that ?(if the ratio of successive terms has limit >1 then the sequence diverges) . I know the ratio test for series, but haven't heard of a ratio test for sequences.

Delta2 said:
Which theorem is that ?(if the ratio of successive terms has limit >1 then the sequence diverges) . I know the ratio test for series, but haven't heard of a ratio test for sequences.

He uses the theorem you mention, together with the fact that if ##\sum_n x_n## converges, then ##x_n \to 0##.

Likes Delta2 and Infrared
Math_QED said:
He uses the theorem you mention, together with the fact that is ##\sum_n x_n## converges, then ##x_n \to 0##.
Ok I see now thanks, due to ratio test ##\sum \frac{1}{b_n}## converges hence ##\frac{1}{b_n}\to 0## hence ##b_n\to +\infty## since ##b_n## is strictly positive.

Yes, like @Math_QED said, it follows from the test for series. I don't know if it has a separate name for sequences, but it's easy enough to prove: Let ##c_n## be a sequence of positive terms, and suppose ##c_{n+1}/c_n## has limit(inf) ##T>1.## Pick ##L\in (1,T)##, and let ##N## be so that ##c_{n+1}/c_n>L## for ##n\geq N##. Then, for any ##m>N##, we have ##c_m=\left(\frac{c_m}{c_{m-1}}\right)\ldots\left(\frac{c_{N+1}}{c_N}\right)c_N> L^{m-N}c_N,## and this tends to infinity. And this comparison is how you prove the test for series anyway, since geometric series diverge/converge according to their common ratio.

Likes Delta2
What about this? If a > 1, then write a = 1+h with h > 0.
Then by the binomial theorem, a^n > 1 + nh + n(n-1)/2h^2.
Hence a^n/n > 1/n + h + (n-1)/2. h^2 > (n-1)/2. h^2, which --> infinity as n does.

Likes jim mcnamara, Delta2 and Infrared
This is another approach. Since a>1 , similar to Wonk, write it as 1+h; h>0. Then use logs or a rule of thumb like rule of 70 to find tge least power k with ##(1+h)^k=2 ## . Then you can see how for fixed values ##n_i*k## of ##n## , the ratio becomes:

##\frac{a^n}{n}=\frac{a^{n_i*k}}{n_ik}=\frac{2^{n_i}}{n_i*k}## I think from here, comparing a doubling process with a linear growth process, with a bit of work you can show the expression goes to infinity.

Likes Delta2

1. What does the limit of (a^n)/n approach as n approaches infinity?

The limit of (a^n)/n approaches infinity as n approaches infinity. This means that the value of (a^n)/n will become larger and larger without bound as n gets larger and larger.

2. How does the value of a affect the limit of (a^n)/n?

The value of a has a significant impact on the limit of (a^n)/n. If a is greater than 1, the limit will approach infinity. If a is equal to 1, the limit will approach 1. And if a is less than 1, the limit will approach 0.

3. Why does the limit of (a^n)/n approach infinity when a is greater than 1?

This is because when a is greater than 1, the value of a^n will become larger and larger as n increases. And since n is in the denominator, the overall value of (a^n)/n will also become larger and larger, approaching infinity as n approaches infinity.

4. Is there a specific value of a that will give a finite limit for (a^n)/n?

No, there is no specific value of a that will give a finite limit for (a^n)/n. As mentioned before, the value of a has a significant impact on the limit of (a^n)/n, but for any value of a greater than 1, the limit will always approach infinity.

5. Can the limit of (a^n)/n be negative?

No, the limit of (a^n)/n cannot be negative. This is because both a^n and n are always positive values, and when divided, the result will also be positive. The limit can only approach positive infinity or 0, depending on the value of a.