What is the Limit of the Bessel Function as x Goes to Infinity?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the limit of the Bessel function as x goes to infinity is 0. This is because the function is an oscillating function that decreases in amplitude as x gets larger, and the amplitude of the oscillations becomes smaller and smaller until it reaches 0. However, the limit varies depending on the order of the function. It can be calculated using the asymptotic expansion of the function and is significant in understanding the behavior of the function at large values of x and in various applications.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Let $n$ be an integer. Show that as $x \to \infty$ on the positive real axis,

$$J_n(x) \sim \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi x}}\left[\cos\left(x - \frac{n\pi}{2} - \frac{\pi}{4}\right)\right],$$

where $J_n(x)$ is the $n$th order Bessel function of the first kind.
-----
Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. Here is my solution.

Using the integral representation

$$J_n(x) = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_0^{\pi} \cos(x\sin t - nt)\, dt$$

and Euler's formula, we have $J_n(x) = \frac{1}{2\pi}[I_1(x) + I_2(x)]$ where $I_1(x) = \int_0^\pi e^{ix\sin t - int}\, dt$ and $I_2(x) = \int_0^\pi e^{-ix\sin t + int}\, dt$. Now $I_1(x) = \int_0^\pi f_1(t)e^{ixg_1(t)}\, dt$ with $f_1(t) = e^{int}$ and $g_1(t) = \sin t$. The function $g$ is holomorphic around $[0,\pi]$, maps $\Bbb R$ to $\Bbb R$, and is $C^1[0,\pi]$. Further, the only critical point of $g_1$ is $\pi/2$. Since $g_1^{''}(\pi/2) = -1 < 0$, by the stationary phase theorem,

$$I_1(x) \sim \frac{e^{ixg_1(\pi/2)}\sqrt{2\pi}}{\sqrt{x}\sqrt{-g_1^{''}(\pi/2)}}e^{-\pi i/4}g_1(\pi/2) = \sqrt{\frac{2\pi}{x}}e^{i(x - n\pi/2 - \pi/4)}.$$

Consider $I_2(x) = \int_0^\pi f_2(t)e^{ixg_2(t)}\, dt$, with $f_2(t) = e^{-int}$ and $g_2(t) = -\sin t$. By a similar argument,

$$I_2(x) \sim \frac{e^{ixg_2(\pi/2)}\sqrt{2\pi}}{\sqrt{x}\sqrt{g_2^{''}(\pi/2)}}e^{\pi i/4}g_2(\pi/2) = \sqrt{\frac{2\pi}{x}}e^{-i(x - n\pi/2 - \pi/4)}.$$

Therefore

$$J_n(x) = I_1(x) + I_2(x) \sim \frac{1}{\pi}\cdot \sqrt{\frac{2\pi}{x}}\left[\cos\left(x - \frac{n\pi}{2} - \frac{\pi}{4}\right)\right] = \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi x}}\left[\cos\left(x - \frac{n\pi}{2} - \frac{\pi}{4}\right)\right].$$

Related to What is the Limit of the Bessel Function as x Goes to Infinity?

What is the Limit of the Bessel Function as x Goes to Infinity?

The limit of the Bessel function as x goes to infinity is 0. This means that as x gets larger and larger, the value of the Bessel function approaches 0.

Why is the Limit of the Bessel Function as x Goes to Infinity 0?

This is because the Bessel function is an oscillating function that decreases in amplitude as x gets larger. As x approaches infinity, the amplitude of the oscillations becomes smaller and smaller until it reaches 0.

Is the Limit of the Bessel Function as x Goes to Infinity the Same for All Orders?

No, the limit of the Bessel function as x goes to infinity varies depending on the order of the function. For example, the limit for the first-order Bessel function is 0, but the limit for the second-order Bessel function is ∞.

How is the Limit of the Bessel Function as x Goes to Infinity Calculated?

The limit of the Bessel function as x goes to infinity can be calculated using the asymptotic expansion of the function. This involves expanding the function into a series of terms and taking the limit of the series as the variable approaches infinity.

What is the Significance of the Limit of the Bessel Function as x Goes to Infinity?

The limit of the Bessel function as x goes to infinity is important in studying the behavior of the function at large values of x. It can also be used in applications such as solving differential equations and analyzing physical systems.