What is the logarithm of the derivative operator?

In summary, the conversation revolves around an article claiming to have found the logarithm of derivative and providing a formula for it. However, upon further scrutiny, the result was found to be incorrect and not applicable to all cases. The discussion also delved into the meaning of finding elementary functions of derivative and raised questions about its significance. Some participants also provided alternative methods for finding the logarithm of derivative. Ultimately, it was concluded that the concept of finding the logarithm of derivative is not well-defined and leads to nonsensical equations.
Anixx
I found this article which claims to have found the logarithm of derivative and even gives a formula.

But I tried to verify the result by exponentiating it and failed.

Additionally, folks on Stackexchange pointed out that the limit (6) in the article is found incorrectly (it does not exist).

I asked this question on Mathoverflow, and received an answer, based on the paper, but other folks say the answer is incorrect (for instance, the integral in the second term has no principal value).

So, my question is, can we really find the logarithm of derivative? Another related question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you find such articles, aka nonsense?

A differential operator turns a multiplication into something linear via the Leibniz rule. Now they consider the logarithm on something linear, but the logarithm does the same as the differential operator, because it makes a multiplication an addition. Applying one on the other is completely unnatural, which results in the fact that a) this paper seems to be unpublished, b) treats only trivial examples, and c) is an analytical kind of numerology.

The answer to your question is no.

Likes berkeman
While I think the article is indeed incorrect, I do not see anything wrong in finding elementary functions of derivative. There is no problem finding sine, cosine, tangent, arctangent, exponential of derivative. The ##\ln (D+1)## also can be found quickly. An interesting question though, what do these functions mean.

For instance,

$$(\sinh D)f(x)=\frac{f(x+1)-f(x-1)}2$$
$$(\cosh D)f(x)=\frac{f(x+1)+f(x-1)}2$$
$$\frac1{e^D-1}f(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{x-1} f(k)$$

etc.

You can write formulas as many as you like, that does not create sense. The logarithm of a derivation is
$$
\log(d(f\cdot g))=\log(f\cdot dg+df \cdot g)
$$
and there is where all ends. There is no way to make sense of ##\log(f+g)## other than ##\log(f+g)##. Playing around is immature.

I have obtained the same result as in the article using this code for Mathematica, starting from first principles:
Code:
Table[DSolveValue[{f'[x] + s f[x] == x^n, f[0] == 0}, f[x], x] // FullSimplify, {n, 0, 5}]
Integrate[%, s] // FullSimplify
Limit[%, s -> 0, Direction -> "FromAbove"] // FullSimplify
Table[Coefficient[%, x, k], {k, 0, 5}] // Expand // MatrixForm

I believe OP is confusing the “logarithm of a derivative,” and the logarithm of the differentiation operator. The formulas in post #3 are obtained by exponentiating the differentiation operator in a formal series, which can be applied termwise. The result in the article can probably be recovered via the same means.

Exponentiating the result does not give you the derivative; instead, you would have to invert ##\log(D)##, although this may not be able to be done uniquely.

Anixx said:
$$(\sinh D)f(x)=\frac{f(x+1)-f(x-1)}2$$
$$(\cosh D)f(x)=\frac{f(x+1)+f(x-1)}2$$
$$\frac1{e^D-1}f(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{x-1} f(k)$$

I don't get these at all. The derivative is a local function. I could pick a function f which is everywhere analytic in ##\mathbb{R}##, f and all its derivatives are 0 at 0, but f(1) and f(-1) are arbitrary numbers. So how can those first two formulas be true?

Expanding the expression ##e^{hD}f(x)## termwise results in the sum ##e^Df(x)=\sum_{k=0}^\infty\frac{f^{(k)}(x)}{k!}h^k.## One can see that this is equivalent to the Taylor series of ##f## about a point ##x##, evaluated at ##x+h##: $$\begin{align}f(x+h)&=\frac{f^{(k)}(x)}{k!}((x+h)-x)^k \\ &=\frac{f^{(k)}(x)}{k!}h^k.\end{align}$$ Convergence generally depends on choices of ##x## and ##h##, though, unless the function has a globally defined Taylor series. To get results that makes sense, one can restrict themselves to a domain where ##D## is bounded.

@Office_Shredder, in the case you mentioned, any analytic function on all of ##\mathbb{R}## whose derivatives are 0 at 0 is a constant function, because its Taylor series at 0 has an infinite radius of convergence. So the equations hold in this case.

OP mentioned the equation ##\frac{1}{e^D-1}f=\sum_{k=0}^{x-1} f(k)##, but I think this only holds under more stringent conditions.

Derivative is operator, not function.
$$e^{aD}f(x)=f(x+a)$$
From this follow the formulas above.

suremarc said:

@Office_Shredder, in the case you mentioned, any analytic function on all of ##\mathbb{R}## whose derivatives are 0 at 0 is a constant function, because its Taylor series at 0 has an infinite radius of convergence. So the equations hold in this case.

You are right, I misspoke. The function is everywhere infinitely differentiable, but obviously not analytic. The rest of the confusion in that post still holds.

1. What is a logarithm of a derivative operator?

The logarithm of a derivative operator is a mathematical function that allows us to find the exponent needed to raise a base number to produce a given derivative.

2. How is the logarithm of a derivative operator different from a regular logarithm?

The logarithm of a derivative operator is specifically used to find the exponent needed for a derivative, while a regular logarithm is used to find the exponent needed for a given base number.

3. What is the purpose of using a logarithm of a derivative operator?

The logarithm of a derivative operator is used in calculus to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point, which is represented by the derivative. It allows us to solve complex problems involving derivatives more efficiently.

4. Can the logarithm of a derivative operator be applied to any function?

Yes, the logarithm of a derivative operator can be applied to any function, as long as the function is differentiable at the point where the derivative is being evaluated.

5. Are there any other applications of the logarithm of a derivative operator?

Yes, the logarithm of a derivative operator has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where the rate of change of a function is important in understanding real-world phenomena.