What is the magnetic field off-axis in the y direction?

In summary, the conversation is about using the provided links to calculate the magnetic field of a loop with off-axis measurements. The user has encountered an issue with calculating By and has tried implementing different formulas and methods to test the accuracy of the results. They have discovered an error in the C++ program and have made adjustments to improve the accuracy of the calculations.
Javier Lopez
I used the following links:
C++ software using elliptics integral at: https://tiggerntatie.github.io/emagnet/offaxis/elliptic_c.htm
And the calculator here: https://tiggerntatie.github.io/emagnet/offaxis/iloopcalculator.htm
I placed some values and obtained Br smaller than Bx, so I do not know how to calculate By (perpendicular to the axis) unless it is imaginary :) :
qxklsi.jpg

Attachments

• qxklsi.jpg
    qxklsi.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 649
Physics news on Phys.org
What formula did you try to implement?

Have you tried calculating manually (elliptic integral tables are available for download) to see if the implementation is correct?

If your diagram is correctly labelled, ##B_r^2=B_y^2+B_z^2##, so I don't understand why you regard ##B_r<B_x## as a problem anyway.

Likes Javier Lopez
Ok, I understand, you say that Br is not the diagonal but the vertical axel, then I can test using on axis formula, also the elliptics.

Last edited:
Javier Lopez said:
Ok, I understand, you say that Br is not the diagonal but the vertical axle, then I can test using on axis formula, also the elliptics.
##B_r## is radial, which happens to be vertical in the diagram, yes.

Thank you.
I tested it using axial formula and was OK, but I found an error in the c++ program: if r<0 then the loop not finalizes, so I wote an "if" at the begin that if r<0 r=-r and a flag is activated to make Bz=-Bz at the end

I tested also making a long radii loop and measuring close to the wire (that is the worse case) to check again field close to a long wire.
I stated at the result an incredible accuracy:
At 1mm of a long wire it is expected to have 2.2 Teslas
Loop Radii: 5 meters
At x,r= 5.001,0 Bx=-2.19766907587031
At x,r= 5.0, 0.001 gives Br = 2.19999969

Related to What is the magnetic field off-axis in the y direction?

1. What is a magnetic field and how is it measured?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be observed. It is measured using a device called a magnetometer, which detects the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

2. What does it mean for a magnetic field to be off-axis in the y direction?

Off-axis in the y direction means that the magnetic field is not aligned with the y-axis, which is typically the vertical direction in a coordinate system. This means that the magnetic field is tilted or angled in relation to the y-axis.

3. Is the strength of the magnetic field different when measured off-axis in the y direction?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic field can vary when measured off-axis in the y direction. This is because the magnetic field lines can be distorted or shifted when not aligned with the y-axis, resulting in a different strength being measured.

4. What factors can affect the magnetic field off-axis in the y direction?

Several factors can affect the magnetic field when measured off-axis in the y direction. These include the strength and direction of the source of the magnetic field, the distance from the source, and the presence of any intervening materials or objects that can alter the magnetic field.

5. Why is it important to understand the magnetic field off-axis in the y direction?

Understanding the magnetic field off-axis in the y direction is important for various applications, such as in navigation, communication, and medical imaging. It also helps in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields in different situations and environments.