What is the maximum possible specific impulse.

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for a hypothetical antimatter rocket to have a very high specific impulse, but acknowledges that it may not be practical due to energy loss during the process. The conversation also mentions the lack of current theories or plans for utilizing an antimatter rocket due to the small production of antimatter.
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Hi there,

I'm aware that a hypothetical antimatter rocket could have a specific impulse of ~1,000,000 seconds. At first I thought that this would be the highest isp possible as antimatter/matter collision releases all the energy in the mass. However as wikipedia put's it

"It is not perfectly efficient; energy is lost as the rest mass of the charged and uncharged mesons, lost as the kinetic energy of the uncharged mesons (which can't be deflected for thrust), and lost as gamma rays."

So whilst it may be impractical to the point of impossibility what is the maximum isp that could be obtained if less energy was lost (and are their any theories on how to utilize this lost energy) Are there any theoretical ways of boosting that 1megasecond number?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are currently very few theories or plans to utilize an antimatter rocket, as the production of antimatter is extremely small. You can try to crunch the numbers if you'd like, but otherwise I don't think anyone really knows unless they did the same.

Drakkith said:
There are currently very few theories or plans to utilize an antimatter rocket, as the production of antimatter is extremely small. You can try to crunch the numbers if you'd like, but otherwise I don't think anyone really knows unless they did the same.

I wouldn't even know where to begin I'm afraid. Thanks anyway though:smile:

1. What is specific impulse?

Specific impulse, also known as isp, is a measure of the efficiency of a rocket or jet engine. It is defined as the thrust produced by the engine per unit of propellant consumed per unit of time.

2. How is specific impulse calculated?

Specific impulse is calculated by dividing the thrust produced by the engine by the rate of propellant consumption. It is usually measured in seconds or meters per second.

3. What is the maximum possible specific impulse?

The maximum possible specific impulse is determined by the specific energy of the propellant, which is a measure of the energy content per unit of mass. In theory, the highest possible specific impulse is achieved with a propellant that has an infinite specific energy.

4. Can specific impulse be increased?

Yes, specific impulse can be increased through various methods such as using more efficient propellants, optimizing the engine design, and reducing the weight of the engine and spacecraft. However, there is a limit to how much it can be increased due to the laws of thermodynamics.

5. How does specific impulse affect rocket performance?

The higher the specific impulse, the more efficient the engine is at converting propellant into thrust. This results in a higher velocity and longer range for the rocket. Therefore, a higher specific impulse is desirable for achieving optimal rocket performance.