What is the maximum range of a rifle fired at 1200 ft/s with a 5 ft elevation?

In summary, a sport rifle used for target shooting has a muzzle velocity of 1200 ft/s. When fired from 5 feet above the ground, the maximum range of the rifle can be found by solving for the value of y when the bullet hits the ground. To determine the time the bullet spends in the air when fired for maximum range, one can take the derivative of the parametric equations and set it equal to 0, then solve for t.
Lindeza

Homework Statement

A sport rifle used for target shooting has a muzzle velocity of 1200 ft/s
a) what is the maximum range of the rifle if it is fired about 5 feet above the ground?
b) how long would a bullet be in the air if it was fired for the maximum range?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I came up with 2 parametric equations. I don't know if they will help me though...
x= t*l1200lcos(0)
y= tl1200lsin(o)-16t²+5
I could maybe do this, if someone explained the topic to me. I don't understand parametric equations at all, unfortunately...

Physics news on Phys.org
Am I the only one who thinks it peculiar that we have three consecutive problems that involve exactly the same equations?

Yes, those are the equations you need. Now apply those equations to these problems:

a) "what is the maximum range of the rifle if it is fired about 5 feet above the ground?"
The bullet is 5 feet above the ground when t= 0. What is its height when the bullet reaches the "maximum range of the rifle"?

b) "how long would a bullet be in the air if it was fired for the maximum range?"
Solve either of the equations you have "at maximum range" for t.

… troubles come in threes …

HallsofIvy said:
Am I the only one who thinks it peculiar that we have three consecutive problems that involve exactly the same equations?

Hi HallsofIvy! :smile:
:biggrin: Yes … it's just you! :biggrin:

so...you are saying:
a) t=0 in the equations and the solution is the answer?
b)for the maximum range i take the first derivative and solve it for t??

and yes, I know that it's sort of silly to post 3 problems involving the same equations...
I just really, really, really don't understand what I am supposed to do.
And since I am taking precal in summer school and over the internet, I don't have a teacher that I can ask these questions...
So you are my only help :)

a) Not quite. What your after is what is the value of Y when the bullet hits the ground.

b) Yes, take the derivative of Y and set it equal to 0, then solve for t. Do you know why you are doing this? After that, X should be easy. But be careful on how you define your coordinate system!

And since I am taking precal in summer school and over the internet, I don't have a teacher that I can ask these questions...
So you are my only help

So does that mean we should be getting paid too? :cool:

which variable do I have to set equal to zero to get the value of y when it hits the ground?
b) i actually think I understand what I am doing in b. I don't understand a at all though...
Thanks a lot for your help!

What does y MEAN here? What does it measure?

Related to What is the maximum range of a rifle fired at 1200 ft/s with a 5 ft elevation?

1. What factors affect the maximum range of a rifle?

The maximum range of a rifle is affected by several factors, including the type and caliber of ammunition used, the condition and quality of the rifle itself, and external conditions such as wind speed, altitude, and temperature.

2. How can I increase the maximum range of my rifle?

To increase the maximum range of your rifle, you can make sure to use high-quality ammunition, regularly maintain and clean your rifle, and practice proper shooting techniques. Additionally, adjusting the sights or optics of your rifle can also help improve its maximum range.

3. What is the average maximum range of a rifle?

The average maximum range of a rifle can vary greatly depending on the type and caliber of the rifle, as well as the external conditions. However, in general, most rifles have a maximum range of around 500-1000 yards.

4. Can external conditions affect the maximum range of a rifle?

Yes, external conditions such as wind speed, altitude, and temperature can have a significant impact on the maximum range of a rifle. Wind can affect the trajectory of the bullet, while altitude and temperature can affect the air density and therefore the flight of the bullet.

5. Are there different maximum ranges for different types of rifles?

Yes, the maximum range of a rifle can vary depending on the type and caliber of the rifle. For example, a long-range precision rifle will typically have a longer maximum range than a hunting rifle. Additionally, rifles designed for specific purposes, such as long-range shooting or close-quarter combat, will have different maximum ranges.