What is the meaning of Λ in the contingency equation?

In summary, the equation states that if the probability of the US is different depending on whether it occurs with or without the CS, then the contingency is perfect.
RabbitWho
I last studied maths in school 10 years ago and we never used any Greek letters.

1. Homework Statement

Talking about contingency in classical conditioning in psychology. The sum is a calculation that people and animals seem to do in their heads to work out the probability that two stimuli will occur together based on how they've occurred together in the past. Or anyway it seems that they are aware of the results of this equation based on how they act.

Here's my best attempt at a translation of what the Spanish textbook says:

Positive contingency: if the occurrence of the Conditioned Stimulus (CS) is a good predictor of the occurrence of the Unconditioned Stimulus (US) (the light predicts well that the shock is coming) , the US has a higher probability of occurring when the CS has been previously prevented than when it hasn't. In this case there is excitatory conditioning.a = number of times US and CS were together
b = number of times there was CS but no US
c = " " "" "" there was US but no CS
d = " " "" "" there was neither

Homework Equations

ΔP = P(EI|EC) – P(EI|noEC)= P1-P0= [a/a+b] –[c/c+d]

P(US|CS > P (US|noCS)
that is, P1>P0
ΔP>0

If the US only occurs in the presence of the CS and never without it, the contingency is perfect

ΔP = P(US|CS) – P(US|noES) = 1-0 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

Not looking for the solution.

I understand the words, and I know that the equation represents the same thing.. but you might as well show me a picture of a squirrel and tell me she represents Crime and Punishment.

If you can tell me what the Λ means in this case I'll be a bit closer to understanding I think.

Any help you can give at all is appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The symbol Δ most often represents "change" or "difference." Here, ΔP is the difference in the two probabilities.

Likes RabbitWho
Thank you!

1. Why is there a delta symbol in this equation?

The delta symbol (Δ) is commonly used in mathematics and science to represent change or difference. In an equation, it indicates a change in a variable or quantity, often denoted as Δx or Δy.

2. What does the delta symbol mean in this context?

The meaning of the delta symbol can vary depending on the context. In science, it can represent a difference in temperature, pressure, concentration, or any other measurable quantity. In mathematics, it is commonly used in calculus to represent a change in a variable.

3. How is the delta symbol used in scientific experiments?

In scientific experiments, the delta symbol can be used to represent changes in variables or conditions. For example, if conducting an experiment to measure the effect of temperature on plant growth, the delta symbol could be used to represent the change in temperature from one group of plants to another.

4. Can you give an example of the delta symbol in a real-world application?

One example of the delta symbol in a real-world application is in weather forecasting. The delta symbol is often used in meteorology to represent changes in atmospheric pressure, temperature, or other weather variables. This allows scientists to track and predict changes in weather patterns.

5. Is the delta symbol used in any other fields besides science and mathematics?

Yes, the delta symbol is also commonly used in engineering and economics. In engineering, it can represent changes in velocity, acceleration, or other physical properties. In economics, it can represent changes in demand, supply, or other economic indicators.