What is the Mistake in My Electric Potential Problem Calculation?

You wrote "R" instead of "r" in the formula.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in Electric Potential involving two point charges. One charge has a mass of 1000 kg and a charge of 50.0 µC, while the other has a mass of 1.00 kg and a charge of 10.0 µC. The question is what the closest approach of these two objects will be when the second charge is initially traveling directly towards the first charge at 10.0 m/s from a far distance. The conversation also points out mistakes in using voltage as energy and using "R" instead of "r" in the formula.
Henry Shi
I am having trouble understanding this problem in Electric Potential. (Source: OpenStax, Chapter 19)
Now consider another system of two point charges. One has a mass of 1000 kg and a charge of 50.0 µC, and is initially stationary. The other has a mass of 1.00 kg, a charge of 10.0 µC, and is initially traveling directly at the first point charge at 10.0 m/s from very far away. What will be the closest approach of these two objects to each other?

Here is my attempt:
The internal energy of the system is conserved. Therefore, we have:
KE1+PE1=KE2+PE2
The potential energy at time 1 is essentially 0, and the kinetic energy at time 2 is 0. PE=qV. Therefore, the equation becomes:
0.5(1)(10)2 + 0 = 0 + (10*10-6)V
50=(10-5)V
5,000,000=V
This number is implausible. I also used V=kq1q2/R
5,000,000=kq1q2/R
5,000,000=(9*10-9)(10*10-6)(50*10-6) / R
Solving for R, I got R=9*10-9m

However, the correct answer was R=9*10-2 m, or 9 cm.

What did I do wrong?

Attachments

• CNX_APPhysics_19_M1_PntChgB.jpg
    CNX_APPhysics_19_M1_PntChgB.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
Henry Shi said:
and the kinetic energy at time 2 is 0
Both will move a bit at the time of closest approach, but that is a small correction, not the 7 orders of magnitude difference you got.
Henry Shi said:
This number is implausible.
Why?
Henry Shi said:
I also used V=kq1q2/R
You used V as voltage before. Now you use it as energy and set it equal. That doesn't work. If you would have worked with units, you would have spotted the problem immediately.
Henry Shi said:
Solving for R
There is another mistake in this step.

Related to What is the Mistake in My Electric Potential Problem Calculation?

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space. It is a measure of the electric potential energy that a charged particle would have if placed at that point.

2. How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity, while electric field is a vector quantity. Electric potential describes the energy per unit charge at a given point, while electric field describes the force per unit charge experienced by a charged particle at that point.

3. How is electric potential calculated in a given problem?

Electric potential is calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance from the charge.

4. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the potential energy that a charged particle has due to its position in an electric field. Electric potential is the amount of this energy per unit charge at a given point. The two are related by the equation PE = qV, where PE is the electric potential energy, q is the charge of the particle, and V is the electric potential.

5. How does electric potential affect the motion of charged particles?

Charged particles will move from areas of higher electric potential to areas of lower electric potential. This movement is driven by the difference in electric potential between two points, with the particle gaining kinetic energy as it moves from high to low potential. The direction of the electric field also plays a role in the motion of charged particles.