What is the name of the software company behind the MSG Sphere in Las Vegas?

• I
  • Thread starter Mark44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the MSG Sphere is a large, spherical structure located in Las Vegas that consists of 580,000 sq. ft. of LED lights. It is covered in equations used for the images and animations displayed on the outer surface, as well as those displayed on the massive screens inside. The name of the software company responsible for the Sphere is unknown, but research has been done into 7thsense the system behind the Sphere.
TL;DR Summary
Very large sphere structure covered with LED lights
My wife was in Las Vegas over the weekend to visit her sons and grandson, and saw this new structure there, the MSG sphere.
MSGSphere.jpg

In this image the sphere appears to be a very large basketball. Other images I've seen are of a huge eye, animated fireworks displays, an image of the earth, along with lots of others.
She mentioned that it's covered in 580,000 sq. ft. of LEDs, so did a quick calculation to get its approximate size. Assuming it's a perfect sphere (it's not, the sphere sits on a base circle rather than a single point), I solved the equation ##580,000 (\text{ sq. ft. }) = 4\pi r^2## to get ##r \approx 430 (\text{ ft})##.

I've seen a couple of figures for the cost, one of which is $2.3 Billion, and another that is lower. The MSG apparently stands for Madison Square Garden, as in the western branch of this venue.

It struck me that there has to be a ton of mathematics involved to display animated images on a near-spherical surface, let alone just static images. This web page lists some of the equations used for the images and animations shown on the outer surface, as well as those displayed on the massive screens inside -- https://www.thespherevegas.com/science. These range from the fairly simple equation for the surface area of a sphere (which I used) to the Kirkhoff Equation, Kirkhoff-Helmholtz Integral, Huygens-Fresnel Principle, and quite a few others.If you do a web search, you can find many more images of this sphere.

Likes mcastillo356, SammyS, phinds and 3 others
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I imagine that planetariums had similar math issues with videos projected on their hemisphere ceiling.

Did you learn the name of the software company responsible for the Sphere?

I found this wiki writeup on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphere_at_The_Venetian_Resort

and these web page detailing more info on 7thsense the system behind the MSG Sphere:

https://www.delicious.com.au/travel...s-vegas-sphere-lights-up-sky-exactly/18fqaqnh

https://7thsense.one/story/disruptive-new-entertainment-venue-inside-cutting-edge-msg-sphere

• Informative
Likes phinds

1. What is the name of the software company behind the MSG Sphere in Las Vegas?

The name of the software company behind the MSG Sphere in Las Vegas is Honeywell.

2. What is the role of Honeywell in the development of the MSG Sphere?

Honeywell is the primary technology partner for the MSG Sphere, providing advanced software solutions for the immersive experiences within the venue.

3. How will Honeywell's technology enhance the experience at the MSG Sphere?

Honeywell's technology will enable real-time tracking and analysis of audience movements, as well as advanced audio and visual effects, to create a fully immersive experience for visitors.

4. Is Honeywell the only technology partner for the MSG Sphere?

No, Honeywell is not the only technology partner for the MSG Sphere. Other companies, such as Samsung and Dell, are also involved in providing technology solutions for the venue.

5. Will Honeywell's technology be used in other MSG Sphere locations around the world?

It is likely that Honeywell's technology will be used in other MSG Sphere locations around the world, as they are the primary technology partner for the project. However, this has not been officially confirmed by MSG Sphere at this time.

Back