What is the number below 25 in this sequence?

In summary, the conversation was about questions 8 and 9 from an Elementary School Math Olympiad. Question 8 asks about the area of a quadrilateral, and question 9 asks about the number below 25. The conversation also includes discussions about the difficulty of solving these questions and possible interpretations of the given numbers.
Monoxdifly
MHB
My partner asked me about questions no. 8 and 9.

Number 8 asks about what is the area of the quadrilateral.
Number 9 asks about what number is below the number 25.

Those are questions for Elementary School Math Olympiads in my country but both of us were having a hard time figuring them out.
For question no. 9, if only that number 9 is located right above number 13 it would be easy to solve. However, we don't know whether the placement of 9 above is intentional or not. Can someone help us solve either question?

Attachments

• IMG-20200208-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20200208-WA0003.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 58
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Monoxdifly said:
Number 8 asks about what is the area of the quadrilateral.
So the vertices of the quadrilateral, in particular, $C$, don't lie on the grid nodes? Then I doubt there is a nice answer.

Monoxdifly said:
Number 9 asks about what number is below the number 25.
So I can invent any rule for arranging these numbers? For example, I can place 15 to the right of 14 or I can place it in the beginning of the next line. And I can skip 0, 1, 2, etc. places after 15 or in any other place, just like 1 place is skipped after 8 for no particular reason. Then I doubt there is a nice answer.

For the first problem, #8, it looks like you are not expected calculate any precise values but to count rectangles, including estimating areas of partial rectangles.

For #9, I would suspect that the space between 8 and 9 shouldn't be there and write
1 2
3 4 5
6 7 8 9
10 11 12 12 14
15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

So the number under 25 is 32.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is geometry?

Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of shapes, sizes, relative positions of figures, and the properties of space.

What are the different types of geometry?

There are three main types of geometry: Euclidean, non-Euclidean, and analytic. Euclidean geometry deals with flat or two-dimensional shapes, non-Euclidean geometry deals with curved or three-dimensional shapes, and analytic geometry uses algebraic equations to describe geometric shapes.

What is a series in mathematics?

In mathematics, a series is a sequence of numbers or terms that are added together. The sum of these terms is called the sum of the series. Series are often used to represent functions and to approximate values of mathematical functions.

What is the difference between arithmetic and geometric series?

Arithmetic series are sequences of numbers where each term is obtained by adding a constant value to the previous term. Geometric series are sequences of numbers where each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant value. In arithmetic series, the difference between consecutive terms is constant, while in geometric series, the ratio between consecutive terms is constant.

What are some real-life applications of geometry and series?

Geometry and series have many practical applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, physics, and computer graphics. For example, geometry is used in the design of buildings and bridges, while series are used in financial calculations, such as compound interest and annuities.