What is the physical significance of torque being a vector in an electric motor?

In summary, torque is a physical quantity that causes a rigid body to spin around its axis. It is a vector, and its physical meaning is that it gives us the axis of rotation under which this torque will rotate the body.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Hi guys,
In my head, torque has also been associated with a bare SCALAR physical quantity given by the formula ##torque=rFsin\theta## which caused a rigid body to spin around its axis.
Now, studying magnetism, I find out that torque is a VECTOR, which magnitude is indeed given by ##rFsin\theta## and with the direction of the axis and pointing upwards/downwards depending on if the body is spinning clockwise/counterclockwise.
Now, my question is: if torque let's a body spin, how could it be a vector coincident with the axis of rotation? Which physical meaning has its vectorial nature?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematically the torque ##\vec{T}## is the cross product of the force ##\vec{F}##and the position vector ##\vec{r}## of the force. In vector notation it is ##\vec{T}=\vec{r}\times\vec{F}##. You can check more about the cross product on these pages
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_product
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-hand_rule
I know if you thinking in 2 dimensions you probably think like "all I want to know is if the torque is clockwise or counterclockwise", because in 2D the axis of rotation is taken for granted and is usually perpendicular to the plane of the page, however when we try to work in 3 dimensions, it is important why the torque give us the axis of rotation under which this torque will rotate the body if it was the total torque. That's it's physical meaning, it gives us the axis of rotation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Lnewqban and greg_rack
Delta2 said:
Mathematically the torque ##\vec{T}## is the cross product of the force ##\vec{F}##and the position vector ##\vec{r}## of the force. In vector notation it is ##\vec{T}=\vec{r}\times\vec{F}##. You can check more about the cross product on these pages
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_product
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-hand_rule
I know if you thinking in 2 dimensions you probably think like "all I want to know is if the torque is clockwise or counterclockwise", because in 2D the axis of rotation is taken for granted and is usually perpendicular to the plane of the page, however when we try to work in 3 dimensions, it is important why the torque give us the axis of rotation under which this torque will rotate the body if it was the total torque. That's it's physical meaning, it gives us the axis of rotation.
Thanks, got it!

greg_rack said:
Now, my question is: if torque let's a body spin, how could it be a vector coincident with the axis of rotation? Which physical meaning has its vectorial nature?

• Love
Likes greg_rack and etotheipi
A.T. said:

This is nice! When I was a bit smaller, something that confused me was that you come across these sorts of ornaments in garden centres and whatnot

1605960730734.png

that are in stable equilibrium. Without that small vertical piece, tilting the thing on the top by an arbitrary angle would contract the perpendicular distances of the centres of mass of either side to the axis by the same fraction, and the ornament would remain in its new equilibrium position (i.e. neutral equilibrium). But the vertical piece destroys that symmetry, as demonstrated in your video, and ensures that there is actually a restoring torque!

Likes Lnewqban and greg_rack

What is torque in an electric motor?

Torque in an electric motor is the measure of the rotational force that the motor can produce. It is typically measured in Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft). In simpler terms, it is the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis.

How is torque calculated in an electric motor?

To calculate the torque of an electric motor, you need to know the force acting on the motor and the distance from the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is torque = force x distance. The force is usually measured in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs) and the distance is measured in meters (m) or feet (ft).

What factors affect the torque of an electric motor?

The torque of an electric motor is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the motor's coils, the size and shape of the motor's rotor, and the amount of current flowing through the motor.

Why is torque important in electric motors?

Torque is important in electric motors because it determines the motor's ability to do work. A higher torque means the motor can produce more force and rotate heavier objects. It is also important for maintaining the motor's speed and efficiency.

What is the difference between starting torque and running torque in an electric motor?

Starting torque is the amount of torque required to start an electric motor from a stationary position. Running torque, on the other hand, is the amount of torque required to keep the motor running at a constant speed. Starting torque is usually higher than running torque due to the initial resistance of the motor's load.