What is the proof for n(n^4 - 1) = 10Q for some values Q and n being integers?

In summary, the problem is to prove that for some values Q and n being integers, n(n^4 - 1) = 10Q. Various methods were considered, including induction and factorization, but ultimately it was determined that checking for divisibility by 5 and utilizing modular arithmetic were the most efficient approaches to solving the problem.
James Brady
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown.
For some values Q and n being integers, prove that n(n^4 - 1) = 10Q.

So I've tried this with induction, but it gets pretty messy pretty quickly. So I can see that the LHS will be even no matter what, but I'm not sure where to go beyond this.

Physics news on Phys.org
James Brady said:

So I've tried this with induction, but it gets pretty messy pretty quickly. So I can see that the LHS will be even no matter what, but I'm not sure where to go beyond this.
Is induction compulsory for this question ?

You essential need to prove that ##n(n^4 - 1)## is divisible by 10. Can you show the induction step ?

James Brady said:

Your problem statements does not make much sense as written. Do you mean the following?

"For all integers n >= 1, show that the integer n(n^4-1) is divisible by 10 (that is, has zero remainder when divided by 10".

I would consider a few cases instead of induction.

Factorising ##n^4-1## might not be a bad idea.

Likes James Brady
How do I factorize it?

Induction isn't compulsory, but it's for all n belonging to the natural numbers.

James Brady said:
How do I factorize it?

$$x^n - y^n = (x-y)\left(\sum^{n-1}_{k =0} x^{n-1-k}y^k\right)$$

Last edited:
Likes James Brady
Buffu said:
$$x^n - y^n = (x-y)\left(\sum^{n-1}_{k =0} x^{n-1-k}y^k\right)$$
Also known as "find (x-y) as factor and proceed from there". And it is not the last possible factorization step.

If you let ##x = n^2## then ##n^4-1=x^2-1## and hopefully you know how to factorise that.

Likes Buffu
##n^4-1=(n^2-1)(n^2 + 1)##

Likes James Brady
Buffu said:
typo : ##n^4-1=(x^2-1)(x^2 + 1)##
No. ##n^4 - 1 = (n^2 - 1)(n^2 + 1)##

Likes Buffu
Buffu said:
typo : ##n^4-1=(x^2-1)(x^2 + 1)##
PeroK's version was a correct substitution. You did the factorization step but with the wrong variable.

Likes Buffu
Mark44 said:
No. ##n^4 - 1 = (n^2 - 1)(n^2 + 1)##
mfb said:
PeroK's version was a correct substitution. You did the factorization step but with the wrong variable.

Did not see the substitution.:bow:
Can you please delete my last post.

Hmmm, so now I have ##n(n+1)(n-1)(n^2+1))## So it's pretty clear that anything here will be divisible by 3... Also I can see that whether the parity of n is either even or odd, the entire term will come out to even. So the term must be divisible by 6, but I'm not seeing how to get that number up to 10...

Thanks to everyone so far, didn't even see the conjugate there.

James Brady said:
Hmmm, so now I have ##n(n+1)(n-1)(n^2+1))## So it's pretty clear that anything here will be divisible by 3... Also I can see that whether the parity of n is either even or odd, the entire term will come out to even. So the term must be divisible by 6, but I'm not seeing how to get that number up to 10...

Thanks to everyone so far, didn't even see the conjugate there.
Why not just crunch through that modulo 10?

I'm not sure what that means.

James Brady said:
I'm not sure what that means.
Every number is equal to 0-9 modulo 10. Just check each of these possibilities. For example ##7^2+1=50## so ##n^2+1## is a multiple of 10 for every number that equals 7 modulo 10.

Likes James Brady and Delta2
OK, it took me a minute to figure out the modular arithmetic, but I do understand what you're saying.

So pretty much by stating that all numbers are 0-9 mod 10, then checking each case, we can effectively run through all the natural numbers.
For real, that helps a lot. Thanks.

You already know that the expression is even, checking 0 to 4 to prove divisibility by 5 is sufficient.

Likes James Brady and PeroK
James Brady said:

Induction works just fine. If ##f(n) = n(n^4-1)##, then it is not hard to find that ##f(n+1) - f(n) = 5 M + 10N##, where the integers ##M## and ##N## are sums of some powers of ##n##.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go back to the original expression:
##p(n) = n(n^4-1)##

As this is even, it is enough to show that it divisible by 5. But, also, ##p(-n) = -p(n)##, so it is enough to check 0, 1, 2.

PeroK said:
If you go back to the original expression:
##p(n) = n(n^4-1)##

As this is even, it is enough to show that it divisible by 5. But, also, ##p(-n) = -p(n)##, so it is enough to check 0, 1, 2.
Or get there in one step using https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermat's_little_theorem

What is the equation that needs to be proved?

The equation that needs to be proved is n(n^4 - 1) = 10Q.

What is the value of n?

The value of n is not specified in the equation and can be any integer or real number.

What is the value of Q?

The value of Q is also not specified in the equation and can be any integer or real number.

What is the purpose of proving this equation?

The purpose of proving this equation is to provide mathematical evidence that the statement is true for all possible values of n and Q.

What are the implications of this equation being true?

The implications of this equation being true are that it can be used to solve various mathematical problems and can also be applied in real-world scenarios to make calculations more efficient.