What is the purpose of ignition in a rocket combustion chamber?

In summary, you want to ignite the fuel and oxidizer in the rocket combustion chamber to increase the temperature high enough to reach the fire point and then the fuel and oxidizer will autoignite and self sustain.
snookrun
Hi Everyone.

I am trying to simulate a rocket combustion chamber. The question I have is this. Is the ignition (by any means) in the rocket combustion chamber only used for increasing the temperature of the cryogenic propellant to a state where it can ignite and burn? If you are using an external ignition source (like detonation charges, sparks etc) how does this affect the chemical composition within the rocket combustion chamber, assume you have a stoichmetric mass flow rate of fuel and oxidizer to keep the composition in the rocket combustion at the stoichmetric level.

Cheers
K

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about liquid rockets but, for car and airplane engines, ignition increases fuel temperature enough to react with air (oxidizer). If you're using liquid propellants, I'm guessing you don't need continuous ignition since the fuel and oxidizer combust at low temps, unless you're going for variable control. In other words, I think the additional gasses released from ignition can be considered negligible. You could (spitballing) probably even try a glow plug, which helps diesel engines start up in cold weather.
If the ignition source releases non-negligible amount of products, then it depends on the ignition chemicals, whether they react with the fuel, oxidizer, or combustion products. Rocket combustion chamber is difficult to simulate... are you trying to find the pressure in the chamber? If not, there are probably easier ways to find necessary state variables.

Yes, the ignition I am assuming is impulse detonation, so it is not continuous ignition. Right now, I am just assuming there is a sudden increase in the concentration of OH radicals to define the ignition with a short Gaussian impulse. So technically, you want to ignite and increase the Temperature of the fuel and oxidizer such that it reaches the ignition temperature and goes to autoignition and self sustain, am I right to say that?

I am simulating the condition in a Rocket Combustion Chamber at a specified Pressure and pre-defined mass flow rate to keep the composition fairly constant. Right now, I am using the mixture ratio of 4 (O/F) (working with methane/LOX combustion) but I saw some lecture that this type of engine uses 3.2-3.4 as the optimum mixture ratio. What I am interested in is how the chemistry in the rocket chamber interact during combustion. So, defining the condition is the most crucial part of the problem right now.

Thanks for the tips on the negligible by products of ignition source. I will take note. I think I have a grasp of what to model so that is good!

Cheers

K

I believe you are right about ignition; you may look up "fire point".

1. What is a rocket combustion chamber?

A rocket combustion chamber is a key component of a rocket engine where fuel and oxidizer are mixed and burned to produce hot gases. These gases are then exhausted through a nozzle to create thrust and propel the rocket.

2. How does a rocket combustion chamber work?

The combustion chamber works by mixing fuel and oxidizer in a precise ratio and igniting it. The resulting hot gases expand and are forced through a nozzle, accelerating them and creating thrust. The shape and design of the combustion chamber and nozzle play a crucial role in the efficiency and performance of the rocket.

3. What materials are used to make a rocket combustion chamber?

Due to the extreme temperatures and pressures involved, rocket combustion chambers are typically made of heat-resistant materials such as high-strength alloys or ceramics. These materials can withstand the intense heat and pressure generated by the combustion process.

4. How is the size of a rocket combustion chamber determined?

The size of a rocket combustion chamber is determined by several factors, including the type of propellant being used, the desired thrust level, and the overall design of the rocket. The size of the combustion chamber and nozzle must be carefully calculated to ensure optimum performance and efficiency.

5. What are some challenges in designing a rocket combustion chamber?

Designing a rocket combustion chamber is a complex and challenging task. Some of the key challenges include managing extreme temperatures and pressures, ensuring proper fuel and oxidizer flow and mixing, and minimizing erosion and damage to the chamber and nozzle. Careful consideration must also be given to the materials, geometry, and cooling methods used in the design to achieve the desired performance and reliability.