What is the PV panel surface area?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculations for the energy output of a solar farm, specifically the formula Wp = ηpvGBA, where ηpv is the module efficiency, GB is solar irradiance, and A is the PV module surface area. The dimensions for one PV panel are provided and the total surface area is calculated. The conversation also mentions the example of using this formula for a monocrystalline module with specific efficiency and surface area values, and the importance of including appropriate units in calculations.
t0mm02
Homework Statement
PV panel surface area
Relevant Equations
Wp = ηpvGBA from Equation (11) above, where
ηpv is module efficiency (18.4%)
GB is solar irradiance (3.8)
A is the PV module surface area
Hello everyone, I am trying to do some calculations for the energy output of a solar farm that I am designing as my dissertation. However, when I trie to calculate the following formula:
Wp = ηpvGBA from Equation (11) above, where:
ηpv is module efficiency (18.4%)
GB is solar irradiance (3.8)
A is the PV module surface area

I am left wondering what the PV module surface area is. Is it the area for one panel or the area that it takes all the PV panels that I would be using?

These are the dimensions for my PV panel:
1,956 mm (L) x 992 mm (W) x 40 mm (T)
This is the area for my PV panel:
1.940 m²

However, in the example where I have taken that formula from this is the information:
From the irradiance values of a given period in [61], the GHI, DHI, DNI, and ambient temperature for Oxford are 7.41, 4.3, 6.5, and 10.3, respectively. The estimated average building energy load is 8.5 kWh per day, while the solar irradiance value obtained from NASA metrological [68] for Oxford is 3.8 kW/m2 . Similarly, we assume that a monocrystalline module of 300 Wp with an efficiency of 18.4% and a surface area of 65 is selected.

Physics news on Phys.org
t0mm02 said:
3.8 kW/m2
That is not correct.
Please show your calculation.
Please do not report, or use in an equation, a number without appropriate units.

t0mm02 said:
I am left wondering what the PV module surface area is. Is it the area for one panel or the area that it takes all the PV panels that I would be using?
If you want the output of one panel, you use the surface area of one panel. If you want the output of all the panels, you use the total surface area of all the panels.

Likes Keith_McClary

1. What is the purpose of calculating the surface area of a PV panel?

The surface area of a PV panel is an important factor in determining its efficiency and power output. By knowing the surface area, we can calculate the amount of sunlight that can be converted into electricity by the panel.

2. How is the surface area of a PV panel measured?

The surface area of a PV panel is typically measured in square meters (m²) or square feet (ft²). It can be calculated by multiplying the length and width of the panel, or by using specialized tools such as a laser scanner.

3. Does the surface area of a PV panel affect its cost?

Yes, the surface area of a PV panel is directly related to its cost. Panels with larger surface areas will generally have a higher cost due to the materials and manufacturing processes involved.

4. How does the surface area of a PV panel impact its efficiency?

The surface area of a PV panel is directly related to its efficiency. A larger surface area means more solar cells and a higher power output. However, the efficiency also depends on other factors such as the quality of the solar cells and the panel's design.

5. Can the surface area of a PV panel be increased?

Yes, the surface area of a PV panel can be increased by connecting multiple panels together to form an array. This allows for a larger surface area and higher power output. However, it is important to consider the available space and cost when determining the optimal surface area for a PV panel system.