What is the rate of change for this function?

In summary, the conversation discusses a rate of change problem and how to find the derivative for a given function. It also explains how to use the chain rule to find the derivative with respect to another variable. The final result is a formula for the derivative of S(T) with respect to N(T).
MWR
Hi,

I am working on a rate of change problem and appear stumped with my calculations.

S(T) = (-0.03T^2 + 1.6T - 13.65)^-1

S'(T) = (-1)((-0.03T^2 + 1.6T - 13.65)^-2 (-0.03 (2T) + 1.6))

S'(T) = - (-0.06T + 1.6) / (-0.03T^2 + 1.6T - 13.65)^2

S'(T) = (0.06T-1.6) / (-0.03T^2+1.6T-13.65)^2 = 0

Therefore, 0.06T – 1.6 = 0. From this, we add 1.6 to the right and then divide by 0.06T to get T= 26.67.

When does this rate = 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative is zero when $T=\dfrac{80}{3}$ as you found. :D

MarkFL said:
The derivative is zero when $T=\dfrac{80}{3}$ as you found. :D

Thanks, Mark.

Could you help me finish out my problem? I'm not exactly sure how.

S(T) = (-0.03T^2+1.6T-13.65)^-1

N(T) = -0.85T^2 +45.4T - 547

So the derivative is zero for S(T) when T = 26.67.

How do you then find DS/DN, S(T) with respect to N(T)?

Do we use the chain rule? Exactly how should I go about solving DS/DN?

Thanks again.

Yes, you are right, you could use the chain rule as follows:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dS}{dN}=\frac{dS}{dT}\cdot\frac{dT}{dN}= \frac{\dfrac{dS}{dT}}{\dfrac{dN}{dT}}\)

MarkFL said:
Yes, you are right, you could use the chain rule as follows:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dS}{dN}=\frac{dS}{dT}\cdot\frac{dT}{dN}= \frac{\dfrac{dS}{dT}}{\dfrac{dN}{dT}}\)

For DT/DN, I get -1.7t + 45.4.

So, does this mean I multiply that by zero, since that's the derivative of S(T)? Wouldn't I get zero again?

MWR said:
For DT/DN, I get -1.7t + 45.4.

So, does this mean I multiply that by zero, since that's the derivative of S(T)? Wouldn't I get zero again?

You have actually computed \(\displaystyle \frac{dN}{dT}\), so you now know:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dS}{dN}=\frac{\dfrac{0.06T-1.6}{\left(-0.03T^2+1.6T-13.65 \right)^2}}{-1.7t+45.4}=\frac{0.06T-1.6}{(45.4-1.7T)\left(-0.03T^2+1.6T-13.65 \right)^2}\)

MarkFL said:
You have actually computed \(\displaystyle \frac{dN}{dT}\), so you now know:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dS}{dN}=\frac{\dfrac{0.06T-1.6}{\left(-0.03T^2+1.6T-13.65 \right)^2}}{-1.7t+45.4}=\frac{0.06T-1.6}{(45.4-1.7T)\left(-0.03T^2+1.6T-13.65 \right)^2}\)

This makes perfect sense. Thanks so much for the clarification. :-)

Related to What is the rate of change for this function?

1. What is the definition of "rate of change"?

The rate of change, also known as the slope or gradient, is a measure of how much a quantity changes over a specific period of time.

2. How is the rate of change calculated?

The rate of change is calculated by dividing the change in the quantity by the change in time. It can be represented by the equation: rate of change = (change in quantity) / (change in time).

3. What is the difference between average rate of change and instantaneous rate of change?

The average rate of change is calculated over a specific interval of time, while the instantaneous rate of change is calculated at a specific point in time. The instantaneous rate of change provides a more precise measurement of how the quantity is changing at that moment.

4. How does the rate of change relate to real-life situations?

The rate of change can be used to analyze and predict trends in various fields such as economics, population growth, and weather patterns. It helps us understand how quantities are changing and how they may continue to change in the future.

5. What factors can affect the rate of change?

The rate of change can be affected by various factors such as external forces, initial conditions, and constraints. It can also be influenced by the relationship between different quantities and their interactions with each other.