What is the relation between angular and linear acceleration

In summary, when solving rigid body exercises, the relationship between linear and angular acceleration for a general case can be expressed in terms of the distance R from the axis of rotation. For a rotating rigid body, different points have the same angular acceleration but different linear accelerations, with the linear acceleration depending on the distance from the axis of rotation. The basic relation is a=α∗R, where R is the distance from the chosen axis. The textbook may not provide clear guidance on choosing R, but it can be determined by parametrizing the rotation matrix with Euler angles. The total kinetic energy of the body can be expressed in terms of the center of mass and Euler angles, with the tensor of inertia also being able to be expressed in
BeeG
I am wondering, when solving rigid body exercises, how can I express the relationship between linear and angular acceleration for a general case? E.g. what would be the linear acceleration in function of the angular one of a 1m rod that is rotating through a fixed point 0.6 m away from its mass center?
And what about the case of a yoyo?

Thank you for your help! I am really confused with this.

Edit: I know the basic relation a=α∗R, but I am confused as to how to choose R and my textbook is not helping.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
With a rotating rigid body, different points have the same angular acceleration but different linear accelerations. The linear acceleration depends on the distance R of the point in question from the axis of rotation.

(Same for angular versus linear velocities.)

Likes BeeG
BeeG said:
E.g. what would be the linear acceleration in function of the angular one of a 1m rod that is rotating through a fixed point 0.6 m away from its mass center?

BeeG said:
I know the basic relation a=α∗R, but I am confused as to how to choose R and my textbook is not helping.
When something's rotating about a fixed axis, R depends on the point you want to calculate the linear acceleration of. (R is the distance from the chosen axis.)

The rigid body is characterized by a fixed point in it and a Cartesian coordinate system with the origin in this point fixed to the body (defining the "body frame"). Often it's convenient to choice the center of mass as this point. Let's denote ##\vec{s}## as the position vector of the fixed point with respect to a fixed inertial reference frame ("lab frame") and let ##\vec{x}## be the vector from the fixed point to an arbitrary other point in the body.

Let ##\vec{e}_j'## denote the body-fixed basis vectors. Then it's orientation to the lab frame is determined by a rotation matrix ##{D^i}_j## such that
$$\vec{e}_j'={D^i}_j \vec{e}_i,$$
where the ##\vec{e}_i## are the lab-fixed basis vectors. To get the kinematics described in convenient coordinates you can parametrize the rotation matrix by Euler angles, as described in any textbook of classical mechanics or also in Wikipedia. For the following that's not so important.

Now we determine the body's total kinetic energy. As we'll see, it's convenient to express the intrinsic motion in terms of body-fixed coordinates. So let the position vectors of the points defining the body be denoted by ##\vec{X}## (we have to sum (or integrate if you use the continuum description) over all these points). We have
$$\vec{X}=\vec{s}+\vec{x}=(\vec{s}^i+x^{\prime j} {D^i}_j) \vec{e}_i.$$
Here the ##\vec{e}_i## and the components ##x^{\prime j}## are time independent. Thus we have
$$\dot{X}^i=\dot{s}^i+x^{\prime j} {\dot{D}^i}_j. \qquad (*)$$
Now you have
$$\vec{x}=x^{\prime j} \vec{e}_j'={D^{i}}_j x^{\prime j} \vec{e}_i \; \Rightarrow \; x^i={D^{i}}_j x^{\prime j}.$$
Now let's switch to the matrix-vector notation. Let's denots with ##\boldsymbol{x}## the lab-fixed coordinates and with ##\boldsymbol{x}'## the boldy-fixed coordinates of ##\vec{x}##. Then the latter equation reads
$$\boldsymbol{x}=\hat{D} \boldsymbol{x}' \; \Rightarrow \; \boldsymbol{x}'=\hat{D}^T \boldsymbol{x}, \quad \hat{D}^T=\hat{D}^{-1}.$$
The latter holds true, because ##\hat{D}## is an SO(3) matrix. Now in our matrix-vector notation (*) reads
$$\dot{\boldsymbol{X}}=\dot{\boldsymbol{S}} + \dot{\hat{D}} \boldsymbol{x}'=\dot{\boldsymbol{S}} + \dot{\hat{D}} \hat{D}^{T} \boldsymbol{x}. \qquad (**)$$
Now because of ##\hat{D} \hat{D}^T=\hat{1}## we have
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} (\hat{D} \hat{D}^T)=0 \; \Rightarrow \dot{\hat{D}} \hat{D}^T=-\hat{D} \dot{\hat{D}}^T=- (\dot{\hat{D}} \hat{D}^T)^T.$$
This means that the matrix in the last equation in Eq. (**) is antisymmetric, i.e., we can as well write
$$\dot{\boldsymbol{X}}=\dot{\boldsymbol{S}} + \boldsymbol{\omega} \times \boldsymbol{x}.$$
The total kinetix energy thus is
$$T=\frac{1}{2} \sum_{\vec{x}} m_{\vec{x}} \dot{\boldsymbol{X}}^2=\frac{1}{2} \sum_{\vec{x}} m_{\vec{x}} [\boldsymbol{s}^2+2 \boldsymbol{s} \cdot (\boldsymbol{\omega} \times \boldsymbol{x}) + (\boldsymbol{\omega} \times \boldsymbol{x})^2].$$
If now ##\vec{s}## is the center of mass,
$$\vec{s}=\frac{1}{M} \sum_{\vec{x}} m_{\vec{x}} \vec{X} \; \Rightarrow \; \sum_{\vec{x}} m_{\vec{x}} \vec{x}=0.$$
So we have
$$T=\frac{M}{2} \dot{\boldsymbol{s}}^2 + \frac{1}{2} \sum_{\vec{x}} m_{\vec{x}} (\boldsymbol{\omega} \times \vec{x})^2.$$
Let's work out the last term in components:
$$\sum_{\vec{x}} m_{\vec{x}} (\boldsymbol{\omega} \times \vec{x})^2=\sum_{\vec{x}} \epsilon_{abc} \omega^b x^c \epsilon_{aij} \omega^i x^j =
\omega^b \omega^i \sum_{\vec{x}} (\delta_{bi} \delta_{cj}-\delta_{bj} \delta_{ci}) x^{c} x^j = \Theta_{bi} \omega^b \omega^i.$$
The tensor of inertia,
$$\Theta_{bi}=\sum_{\vec{x}} m_{\vec{x}} (\delta_{bi} \boldsymbol{x}^2-x_i x_j),$$
where I have used that in Cartesian coordinates ##x^j=x_j##,
can as well be expressed in terms of body-fixed coordinates, since
$$T_{\text{rot}}=\frac{1}{2} \boldsymbol{\omega}^T \hat{\Theta} \boldsymbol{\omega}=\frac{1}{2} \boldsymbol{\omega}^{\prime T} \hat{\Theta}' \boldsymbol{\omega}'.$$
Since ##\hat{\Theta}'## as a body-fixed quantity with respect to the body-fixed basis, it's time-independent, and we can always choose the body-fixed basis as the principal basis of this symmetric matrix. Then ##\hat{\Theta}'=\mathrm{diag}(\Theta_1',\Theta_2',\Theta_3').##
Now one can express the ##\boldsymbol{\omega}'## in terms of the Euler angles and its derivatives, and thus we have the kinetic energy as we need it in the Lagrange formalism in terms of the 6 degrees of freedom of the body, i.e., the three components ##s^j## of the center of mass of the body and the three Euler angles defining the rotation between the body-fixed Cartesian basis and the lab-fixed Cartesian basis.
$$L=\frac{M}{2} \dot{s}^2 + \frac{1}{2} [\Theta_1 (\omega^{\prime 1})^2+\Theta_2 \omega^{\prime 2})^2+\Theta_3 \omega^{\prime 1})^2].$$

Likes BeeG and QuantumQuest
Something visual might be helpful :-)

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed changes over time. It is typically denoted by the symbol α (alpha) and is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

2. What is linear acceleration?

Linear acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's linear velocity changes over time. It is typically denoted by the symbol a and is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

3. How are angular and linear acceleration related?

The relation between angular and linear acceleration is that they both describe the rate of change of an object's motion. Angular acceleration describes the change in rotational speed, while linear acceleration describes the change in linear velocity. They are related through the formula a = rα, where r is the radius of the rotation.

4. What is the difference between angular and linear acceleration?

The main difference between angular and linear acceleration is the type of motion they describe. Angular acceleration describes rotational motion, while linear acceleration describes linear motion. Additionally, angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

5. How do you calculate angular and linear acceleration?

To calculate angular acceleration, you can use the formula α = (ωf - ωi)/t, where ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time interval. To calculate linear acceleration, you can use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final linear velocity, vi is the initial linear velocity, and t is the time interval.