What is the relation of mass and power?

In summary, power can be calculated by using the formula P=wt, where w is work and t is time. To find work, the formula W=Fx (force as mass x 9.8) can be used. However, more details are needed to accurately determine the work done and power developed in a given situation. In the example of a woman weighing 50kg running uphill for 5m in 3 seconds, assuming 100% efficiency and no friction, the process explained can be used to calculate the required power.
Generally Confused
How should power be calculated in a situation where distance and time are both given, as well as mass. At first, I was thinking of just using W=Fx (force as mass x 9.8) to solve for work, and then I would take the solution for work and put it into P=wt.

Does this make sense? That's my best guess, but I'd really appreciate if you could tell me whether or not I am handling mass correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally Confused said:
How should power be calculated in a situation where distance and time are both given, as well as mass. At first, I was thinking of just using W=Fx (force as mass x 9.8) to solve for work, and then I would take the solution for work and put it into P=wt.

Does this make sense? That's my best guess, but I'd really appreciate if you could tell me whether or not I am handling mass correctly.

You haven't given enough information to be able to tell. For example if an object of mass 2 kg is located 3 m away for a time of 4 s, then I've been given mass, distance, and time. But I need more details to be able to determine the work done and the power developed.

Mister T said:
You haven't given enough information to be able to tell. For example if an object of mass 2 kg is located 3 m away for a time of 4 s, then I've been given mass, distance, and time. But I need more details to be able to determine the work done and the power developed.

Alright. So take a woman weighing about 50kg running uphill. If the hill is 5m, how much power would be required for her to reach the top in 3 seconds? (Sorry, this is sort of a bad example, but I figured it kind of demonstrates the format.) Does the process I explained work for this?

Generally Confused said:
Alright. So take a woman weighing about 50kg running uphill. If the hill is 5m, how much power would be required for her to reach the top in 3 seconds?

still not enough info

what is the angular incline of the hill ?
is the 5m you state the height of the hill or the length of the incline slope ?

Generally Confused said:
Alright. So take a woman weighing about 50kg running uphill. If the hill is 5m, how much power would be required for her to reach the top in 3 seconds? (Sorry, this is sort of a bad example, but I figured it kind of demonstrates the format.) Does the process I explained work for this?

Assuming an altitude of 5 m, yes; ignoring friction and assuming she's 100% efficient.

1. What is the definition of mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is a fundamental property of matter and is usually measured in kilograms (kg).

2. What is the definition of power?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is measured in watts (W) or horsepower (hp) and is a measure of how quickly a task can be completed.

3. How are mass and power related?

Mass and power are not directly related. Mass is a property of an object while power is a measure of the speed at which work is done. However, the mass of an object can affect the amount of power needed to move or accelerate it.

4. Does increasing mass increase power?

No, increasing mass does not necessarily increase power. In fact, increasing mass can require more power to move or accelerate an object. For example, it takes more power to lift a heavier weight compared to a lighter weight.

5. How does power affect mass?

Power does not have a direct effect on mass. However, power can be used to increase or decrease the speed at which an object's mass is moving. For example, a powerful engine can accelerate a car with a larger mass at a faster rate than a less powerful engine.