What is the result of using Euler's equation for Fourier transform integrals?

In summary, the Euler equation is used for Fourier transform integrals and can be written as \int f(x)e^{ikx}dx= \int (f(x)cos(kx)+ if(x)sin(kx))dx= \int f(x)cos(kx) dx+ i \int f(x)sin(kx) dx. The final integration result is the sum of both real and imaginary parts. The complete form of the Euler equation can be found by searching online.
Galizius
when I am using Euler equation for Fourier transform integrals of type [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx f(x) exp[ikx] [/tex]I am getting following integrals:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx f(x) cos(kx)[/tex] (for the real part) and

[tex]i* \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx f(x) sin(kx)[/tex] (for its imaginary part)

I am wondering what is the final integration result though. Is that the sum of both parts or are they separate results? And if it is sum, when the imaginary or real part is being reduced to 0

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The Fourier transform is the sum of both real and imaginary parts.

Surely if you know that [itex]e^{ikx}= cos(kx)+ i sin(kx)[/itex] then you know that [itex]\int f(x)e^{ikx}dx= \int (f(x)cos(kx)+ if(x)sin(kx))dx= \int f(x)cos(kx) dx+ i \int f(x)sin(kx) dx[/itex].

Likes Dr. Courtney
HallsofIvy said:
Surely if you know that [itex]e^{ikx}= cos(kx)+ i sin(kx)[/itex] then you know that [itex]\int f(x)e^{ikx}dx= \int (f(x)cos(kx)+ if(x)sin(kx))dx= \int f(x)cos(kx) dx+ i \int f(x)sin(kx) dx[/itex].

Well, when you put it that way ...

Nice proof. Thanks.

what is the complete form of euler equation?

1. What is the Euler equation?

The Euler equation is a mathematical equation used in calculus to describe the relationship between the rate of change of a function and its independent variables. It is also known as the first-order necessary condition for optimality.

2. Who discovered the Euler equation?

The Euler equation was discovered by Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century. He is also known for his contributions to many other areas of mathematics including calculus, number theory, and mechanics.

3. What is the significance of the Euler equation?

The Euler equation is significant because it is a fundamental tool in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. It is also used in physics, economics, and engineering to model and solve various real-world problems.

4. What is the difference between the Euler equation and the Lagrange equation?

The Euler equation is used to find the necessary conditions for optimality in a function, while the Lagrange equation is used to find the minimum or maximum value of a function subject to certain constraints. The Euler equation only considers one independent variable, while the Lagrange equation can handle multiple independent variables.

5. Are there any other applications of the Euler equation?

Yes, the Euler equation has many other applications in different fields. In fluid mechanics, it is used to describe the motion of a fluid, and in economics, it is used to model consumer behavior. It is also used in geometry, astronomy, and many other branches of mathematics.