What is the right amount of citric acid and sodiumhypophosphite?

In summary, the article mentions using a specific amount of citric acid and sodium hypophosphite (50% w/w, on weight of citric acid used) in the starch solution. The question is how much of each substance should be weighed on the balance. Another part of the article states that 5% (w/w) citric acid was used for cross-linking the 3% starch film. The solution should contain 3 grams of starch, 1.28 grams of citric acid, 0.64 grams of catalyst, and 96.23 grams of water.
Cyrus the great

Homework Statement

In the materrials and methods of one article is mentioned that: A specific amount of citric acid and the catalyst sodium hypophosphite (50 % w/w, on weight of citric acid used) was dissolved in the starch solution.

My question is how much citric acid and sodium hypophosphite I need to weigh on the balance?

p.s: In one part of article is written: Films were cast from 3 % starch and cross-linked using 5 % (w/w) citric acid.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

50 % w/w so we need to weigh 50 g or mg of citric acid + 50 g or mg of sodium hypophosphite.

But why in another part of article mentioned 5 % of citric acid was used? I am confused![/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I calculated like this. I want to make 3 % of starch so I weigh 3 gram of starch. Then 5 % of citric acid which is 1.28 gram then catalyst 50 % which becomes 0.64 gram. Then I will add 96.23 gram of water. Am I right?

Any feedback?

1. What is citric acid and sodium hypophosphite used for?

Citric acid and sodium hypophosphite are commonly used in various industries, such as food and beverage, pharmaceutical, and water treatment, for their acidic and reducing properties.

2. What is the recommended amount of citric acid and sodium hypophosphite to use?

The recommended amount of citric acid and sodium hypophosphite depends on the specific application and desired outcome. It is best to consult guidelines or industry standards for the appropriate amount to use.

3. Can too much citric acid and sodium hypophosphite be harmful?

Yes, excessive amounts of citric acid and sodium hypophosphite can be harmful. Citric acid can cause irritation to the skin, eyes, and respiratory system if inhaled. Sodium hypophosphite can also be corrosive to the skin and eyes, and can cause respiratory irritation if inhaled. It is important to handle these chemicals with caution and follow safety protocols.

4. Are there any safety precautions to take when handling citric acid and sodium hypophosphite?

Yes, it is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) when handling citric acid and sodium hypophosphite, such as gloves, goggles, and a mask. It is also important to handle these chemicals in a well-ventilated area and avoid contact with skin or eyes.

5. Can citric acid and sodium hypophosphite be used together?

Yes, citric acid and sodium hypophosphite can be used together in certain applications, such as in electroless plating or metal cleaning. However, it is important to carefully follow recommended ratios and safety precautions to avoid any potential hazards.