What is the Stirling transform of (k-1)?

In summary, the Stirling transform is a mathematical concept used in combinatorial mathematics. To find the Stirling transform of (k-1)!, one must compute a complicated sum using the explicit formula for the Stirling number of the second kind. Mathematica provides the result (-1)^n \operatorname{Li}_{1-n}(2). A recent post on Stack Exchange offers a proof for this result.
Cristopher
While reading about combinatorial mathematics, I came across the Stirling transform. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_transform

So then, if I want to find the Stirling transform of, for instance, ##(k-1)!##, I have to compute this (using the explicit formula of the Stirling number of the second kind):

##\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^{n}\left(\frac{1}{k!}\sum_{j=0}^{k}(-1)^{k-j}\binom{k}{j}j^n(k-1)!\right)##

This looks complicated and I don't know where to start. Mathematica gives the result ##(-1)^n\operatorname{Li}_{1-n}(2)##.

Any insights or hints of how to arrive at that result will be appreciated

1. What is the Stirling transform of (k-1)?

The Stirling transform of (k-1) is a mathematical operation that transforms the sum of k-1 terms into a polynomial expression. It is commonly used in statistics and number theory.

2. How is the Stirling transform of (k-1) calculated?

The Stirling transform of (k-1) is calculated by rearranging the terms in the original sum and applying a specific formula involving factorials and binomial coefficients. It can also be calculated using a recursive algorithm.

3. What is the significance of the Stirling transform of (k-1)?

The Stirling transform of (k-1) has many applications in mathematics, including in the study of combinatorics, probability, and generating functions. It is also used in the analysis of algorithms and in the study of special functions.

4. Can the Stirling transform of (k-1) be extended to other types of sums?

Yes, the Stirling transform can be generalized to other types of sums, such as infinite series or multidimensional sums. However, the specific formula and method of calculation may vary depending on the type of sum.

5. Is the Stirling transform of (k-1) reversible?

Yes, the Stirling transform of (k-1) is a reversible operation. This means that given the transformed polynomial expression, it is possible to derive the original sum of k-1 terms. However, the reverse calculation may not always be straightforward and may require the use of special techniques.