What Is the Temperature Coefficient of a Car Battery Resistor at 0 Degrees?

In summary: I'll share the solution below for anyone else who might need it.In summary, the voltage drops from 12V to 7.2V and 150 amps are pulled from the car when starting it at 0 degrees. To find the temperature coefficient of the resistor, we would need the reference resistance at room temperature of the battery. Without this information, we cannot accurately calculate the temperature coefficient.
Mango12
Starting a car: the voltage drops from 12V to 7.2 V, it is 0 degrees out, and 150 amps are pulled from the car. What is the temperature coefficient of the resistor?

I have NO idea how to do this. Help please!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mango12 said:
Starting a car: the voltage drops from 12V to 7.2 V, it is 0 degrees out, and 150 amps are pulled from the car. What is the temperature coefficient of the resistor?

I have NO idea how to do this. Help please!

Hi Mango! ;)

We'll need more information.

From the information you provided, we can only tell that:
$$R_o = \frac{7.2 \text{ V}}{150\text{ A}} \\
R_i = \frac{4.8 \text{ V}}{150\text{ A}}
$$
where $R_i$ is the internal resistance of the battery, and $R_o$ is the outer resistor.

We would need for instance a reference resistance at room temperature of the battery to say anything about temperature coefficient.
Is any such given? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hi Mango! ;)

We'll need more information.

From the information you provided, we can only tell that:
$$R_o = \frac{7.2 \text{ V}}{150\text{ A}} \\
R_i = \frac{4.8 \text{ V}}{150\text{ A}}
$$
where $R_i$ is the internal resistance of the battery, and $R_o$ is the outer resistor.

We would need for instance a reference resistance at room temperature of the battery to say anything about temperature coefficient.
Is any such given? (Wondering)

Hey there! Thanks for replying, but I solved this problem on my own before I saw your post.

Related to What Is the Temperature Coefficient of a Car Battery Resistor at 0 Degrees?

What is the definition of temperature coefficient?

The temperature coefficient is a measure of the change in a material's physical or electrical properties with respect to temperature.

How is temperature coefficient calculated?

The temperature coefficient is calculated by taking the ratio of the change in a material's property to the change in temperature.

What are the different types of temperature coefficients?

There are two main types of temperature coefficients: positive and negative. A positive temperature coefficient means that the material's property increases as temperature increases, while a negative temperature coefficient means that the property decreases with increasing temperature.

Why is temperature coefficient important in scientific research?

Temperature coefficient is important in scientific research because it helps scientists understand how a material will behave at different temperatures. This is crucial for designing and optimizing experiments and processes.

How can temperature coefficient be used in practical applications?

Temperature coefficient is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in electronic devices to ensure their proper functioning at different temperatures. It is also used in material science to design materials with specific properties for different temperature ranges.