What is the term for a rectilinear parallelepiped?

• B
  • Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Term
In summary, the conversation discusses the different names for a cuboid and its corresponding circular shape, which is called a spheroid. It is suggested that the term "rectoid" or "rectohedron" could be used, but "parallelepiped" and "rectangular cuboid" are more commonly used. The conversation also mentions that a cuboid can have repeated dimensions, in which case it is referred to as a square cuboid, with two possible types. It is noted that a cuboid can be any polyhedron that was originally a cube, but with added stretch and/or shear. Google is also mentioned as a helpful resource for finding information on this topic.
swampwiz
I guess it could be called a cuboid, but the corresponding circular shape called a spheroid has the dimension in 2 of the axes as the same. Perhaps it is called rectoid or rectohedron?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Google is your friend !

I'm surprised you found PF but did not try parallelepiped

##\ ##

I'll just refer to the case of no repeated dimensions as cuboid, and with one repeated dimension as square cuboid, which can be of the two types prolate cuboid & oblate cuboid.

I'll just refer to the case of no repeated dimensions as rectangular cuboid, and with one repeated dimension as square cuboid, which can be of the two types prolate square cuboid & oblate square cuboid. It seems that a cuboid is any polyhedron that was originally a cube, but with any manner of applied stretch and/or shear.

1. What is a rectilinear parallelepiped?

A rectilinear parallelepiped is a three-dimensional shape with six rectangular faces. It is also known as a rectangular prism.

2. What are the characteristics of a rectilinear parallelepiped?

The characteristics of a rectilinear parallelepiped include having six rectangular faces, eight vertices, and twelve edges. All of its faces are perpendicular to each other.

3. How is a rectilinear parallelepiped different from other parallelepipeds?

A rectilinear parallelepiped is different from other parallelepipeds because it has all right angles between its faces, while other parallelepipeds may have different angles between their faces.

4. What are some real-life examples of rectilinear parallelepipeds?

Some examples of rectilinear parallelepipeds in real life include shoeboxes, books, and bricks.

5. What is the formula for finding the volume of a rectilinear parallelepiped?

The formula for finding the volume of a rectilinear parallelepiped is V = l x w x h, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height of the shape.