What is the Theoretical Energy Density of Inflation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the theoretical energy density of inflation, with one estimate being around 1095 ergs per cubic centimeter. The participants also mention other estimates, including one from Ned Wright at 1071 g/cc. The reason for asking about this value is related to a story involving a super-powered being who can release an enormous amount of energy, potentially causing a Big Rip and destroying matter within a large volume. The conversation also touches on the difference between energy and mass density and how it relates to the calculations.
chasrob
I need the theoretical energy density of inflation for my story. I seem to recall it as an enormous 1095 ergs per cubic centimeter.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's one estimate-
energy density-inflation.jpg

https://universe-review.ca/R02-13-inflation.htm

Seems to be around 1095 ergs/cc

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have a link to another estimate? A paper perhaps? I seem to remember a mass density of 1076 grams/cc that I read somewhere.
Thanks.

Hornbein said:
A septillion.
You're right. Maybe it's a typo for mass density equivalent, using e=mc2?

If anyone cares, the reason I ask has to do with the “physics” of my story. If someone/some entity releases more power than the Planck power, 3.63 x 1052 W, the result is that a volume of space centered on the “release” is rendered into inflationary space and it undergoes a Big Rip and pinches off into another, disjoint, dimension. Destroying all matter within the volume in the process.

My protagonist, a super-powered being, threatens some enormously powerful aliens who consequently construct an artificial humanoid who can release 9.77E163 ergs/s with one punch. And according to my shaky calcs that many ergs would render a cube of space 105,000 light years on a side into inflationary space. Milky Way, galaxy-size volume.

Another odd thing… if the humanoid, Debra, holds back and only hits with 1E95 ergs/s of power, only 1 cubic centimeter would be affected. Little or no collateral damage from that enormous energy release!

chasrob said:
Uh, oh. Ned Wright, https://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmo_constant.html says 1071 g/cc. Quite a difference. Ten trillion or so? The figure above has somewhere 1094 to 1097?
Oops, my bad. I misinterpreted Wright. I failed to notice that he represented energy density as g/cc, not ergs/cc. Using e=mc2, I get 1091-92 ergs/cc. Closer to the value in the figure above.

1. What is the theoretical energy density of inflation?

The theoretical energy density of inflation is the amount of energy per unit volume that is thought to have driven the rapid expansion of the universe during the early moments of the Big Bang. It is a key concept in inflationary cosmology, which proposes that the universe underwent a brief period of exponential expansion shortly after the Big Bang.

2. How is the theoretical energy density of inflation calculated?

The theoretical energy density of inflation is calculated using mathematical models and equations that describe the behavior of the universe during the inflationary period. These models take into account factors such as the rate of expansion, the energy content of the universe, and the properties of the inflation field.

3. What is the significance of the theoretical energy density of inflation?

The theoretical energy density of inflation is significant because it helps to explain several key observations about the universe, such as its overall flatness and the uniformity of the cosmic microwave background radiation. It also provides a potential solution to the horizon problem and the flatness problem in cosmology.

4. How does the theoretical energy density of inflation relate to dark energy?

The theoretical energy density of inflation is often compared to dark energy, which is a mysterious force thought to be responsible for the current accelerating expansion of the universe. While both concepts involve energy density, they are distinct phenomena and are thought to have operated at different times and scales in the history of the universe.

5. Is the theoretical energy density of inflation a proven concept?

The theoretical energy density of inflation is a widely accepted concept in cosmology, but it is still considered a theoretical framework and has not yet been conclusively proven. However, it is supported by a large body of evidence and is consistent with many observations of the universe, making it a promising avenue for further research and study.