What is the total area of the doors and windows in the room?

In summary: There are 2 windows of equal measure and so the area \(A_W\) of the windows is:A_W=2(5\text{...}\text{ft}\text{in})\,\text{ft}^2
drewcifur
I am having trouble figuring out the answer to the following question, I am not sure how to get to my answer.Calculate the area of each wall, including any doors and windows (The room is rectangular in shape. The floor is 18 ft. 5 in long by 9 ft 6 in wide. All of the walls are 8 ft high. You will not paint the windows nor the doors. There are two doors each of which is 7 ft 3 in. high by 3 ft wide. One window is 4 ft wide by 5 ft. high. There are also two windows that are 2 ft 6 in wide by 5 ft high)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let's ignore the doors and windows for now. You have 4 walls, which are rectangular. The walls opposite each other have identical areas. Can you find the total area of the 4 walls?

MarkFL said:
Let's ignore the doors and windows for now. You have 4 walls, which are rectangular. The walls opposite each other have identical areas. Can you find the total area of the 4 walls?

the formula it says to use to find the area of one wall is L x W x H, since i am only given the height of the wall (8ft) i figure
I should use the dimensions of the floor for L and W but I am thrown off by having to multiply foot and inch together rather than just, for example, (18 ft length 9 ft width) I have tried to convert to decimal and solve that way but my answers do not look right

drewcifur said:
the formula it says to use to find the area of one wall is L x W x H, since i am only given the height of the wall (8ft) i figure
I should use the dimensions of the floor for L and W but I am thrown off by having to multiply foot and inch together rather than just, for example, (18 ft length 9 ft width) I have tried to convert to decimal and solve that way but my answers do not look right

The formula for the area of a rectangle is:

\(\displaystyle \text{Area}=\text{base}\times\text{height}\)

or:

\(\displaystyle A=bh\)

The height of each rectangle is 8 ft, as we are told all walls are 8 ft tall. The bases of the rectangular walls we get from the given dimensions of the floor, as you surmised.

And so we will have two walls whose bases are:

\(\displaystyle 18\text{ ft}\,5\text{ in}=\left(18+\frac{5}{12}\right)\text{ ft}=\frac{221}{12}\,\text{ft}\)

And we will have two walls whose bases are:

\(\displaystyle 9\text{ ft}\,6\text{ in}=\left(9+\frac{6}{12}\right)\text{ ft}=\frac{19}{2}\,\text{ft}\)

Now, if we add these all up, then the total area \(A\) of the 4 walls is then:

\(\displaystyle A=2\left(\frac{221}{12}\,\text{ft}\right)\left(8\text{ ft}\right)+2\left(\frac{19}{2}\,\text{ft}\right)\left(8\text{ ft}\right)\)

Let's factor this:

\(\displaystyle A=2(8)\left(\frac{221}{12}+\frac{19}{2}\right)\text{ ft}^2\)

Adding the fractions, and computing the product of the first two factors, we can write:

\(\displaystyle A=16\left(\frac{335}{12}\right)\text{ ft}^2\)

Reduce:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{4\cdot335}{3}\,\text{ft}^2=\frac{1340}{3}\,\text{ft}^2\)

Before we proceed, does all this make sense so far?

MarkFL said:
The formula for the area of a rectangle is:

\(\displaystyle \text{Area}=\text{base}\times\text{height}\)

or:

\(\displaystyle A=bh\)

The height of each rectangle is 8 ft, as we are told all walls are 8 ft tall. The bases of the rectangular walls we get from the given dimensions of the floor, as you surmised.

And so we will have two walls whose bases are:

\(\displaystyle 18\text{ ft}\,5\text{ in}=\left(18+\frac{5}{12}\right)\text{ ft}=\frac{221}{12}\,\text{ft}\)

And we will have two walls whose bases are:

\(\displaystyle 9\text{ ft}\,6\text{ in}=\left(9+\frac{6}{12}\right)\text{ ft}=\frac{19}{2}\,\text{ft}\)

Now, if we add these all up, then the total area \(A\) of the 4 walls is then:

\(\displaystyle A=2\left(\frac{221}{12}\,\text{ft}\right)\left(8\text{ ft}\right)+2\left(\frac{19}{2}\,\text{ft}\right)\left(8\text{ ft}\right)\)

Let's factor this:

\(\displaystyle A=2(8)\left(\frac{221}{12}+\frac{19}{2}\right)\text{ ft}^2\)

Adding the fractions, and computing the product of the first two factors, we can write:

\(\displaystyle A=16\left(\frac{335}{12}\right)\text{ ft}^2\)

Reduce:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{4\cdot335}{3}\,\text{ft}^2=\frac{1340}{3}\,\text{ft}^2\)

Before we proceed, does all this make sense so far?
yes so far i am understanding a bit more clearly

drewcifur said:
yes so far i am understanding a bit more clearly

Okay, now we need to compute the total area of the windows and doors. What do you get for that?

MarkFL said:
Okay, now we need to compute the total area of the windows and doors. What do you get for that?

i'm not sure I'm right but I for the area of the doors I got 7ft 6in (7.5) and for the windows I have the first window an area of 20 ft and the two other windows with an area of 12 ft 6 in (12.5)

drewcifur said:
i'm not sure I'm right but I for the area of the doors I got 7ft 6in (7.5) and for the windows I have the first window an area of 20 ft and the two other windows with an area of 12 ft 6 in (12.5)

You are finding areas, so you want your units to be \(\displaystyle \text{ft}^2\), because you are multiplying two linear measures in units of \(\displaystyle \text{ft}\).

There are 2 doors of equal measure and so the area \(A_D\) of the doors is:

\(\displaystyle A_D=2(3\text{ ft})\left(\left(7+\frac{1}{4}\right)\text{ft}\right)=?\)

What is the difference between accuracy and precision?

Accuracy refers to how close a measured value is to the true or accepted value. Precision, on the other hand, refers to how consistent or reproducible a set of measurements are. High accuracy means the measured values are close to the true value, while high precision means the measurements are consistent with each other.

What is the importance of units in measurement?

Units are crucial in measurement as they provide a standard for comparison and ensure that results are reported in a meaningful and understandable way. Without units, measurements would be meaningless and impossible to compare with others.

How do you convert between units?

To convert between units, you can use conversion factors. These are ratios that relate the original unit to the desired unit. To convert, multiply the original value by the conversion factor. For example, to convert 10 meters to centimeters, you would multiply 10 by 100, since there are 100 centimeters in 1 meter.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector quantity?

A scalar quantity is a measurement that has only magnitude, or size. Examples include temperature, mass, and time. A vector quantity, on the other hand, has both magnitude and direction. Examples include displacement, velocity, and force. Vectors are often represented by arrows, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of the quantity.

What is the significance of significant figures in calculations?

Significant figures, also known as significant digits, represent the precision of a measurement. When performing calculations, the number of significant figures in the final answer should match the least precise measurement used in the calculation. This ensures that the final result is not reported with more precision than the original measurements.