What is the use of simplifying a question in math?

In summary, simplifying trigonometric identities can make it easier to understand and compare expressions, as well as use them in further steps. It can also make graph plotting easier, especially when using spreadsheet programs. Recasting linear equations into a simpler form serves a similar purpose, making it easier to find the y-intercept and slope and draw the graph.
pairofstrings
Hello. I have been looking into trigonometric identities that helps to simplify a question in mathematics. But the question that I have is, why do I need to simplify a question?

For instance:
Sin(x) * Cos(x) means Sin(2*x)/2.
I have no answer that tells me why I simplify Sin(x) * Cos(x) to its corresponding answer.

I have plotted graphs of Sin(x) * Cos(x) and Sin(2*x)/2 and both the expression give the same result.

I request you to write all the words associated with this question.

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Double-angle formula

Simplifying the result makes it easier to understand it, it makes comparisons easier, and it is easier to use it in further steps if it is not the final answer.
The question "what is the nicest answer" is not always easy to answer. It is obvious that ##\displaystyle \left(\frac {3\sin(x)}{2} - \frac {\sin^2(x)}{2\sin(x)}\right) \left(\frac {4\cos^2(x)}{3\cos(x)} - \frac {\cos(x)}{3}\right)## is not a proper final answer, although it is identical to your expression, but sin(x) cos(x) versus sin(2x)/2? I would prefer sin(x) cos(x) over sin(2x)/2 in most cases, unless the double angle (2x) appears elsewhere as well.

Likes pairofstrings and FactChecker
In my experience it is better to put it in the simplest form for ease of future solutions or graph plotting.

For example say you are asked to plot the long trig expression mfb posted within a certain range and you don't have a plotter. So you are to use excel or some similar spreadsheet program. And if you simplified the expression, it might be something like (it is not though) sin(9x)cos(3x).

In excel, I'd find it easier to plot sin(9x)cos(3x) than the long expression where I am likely to make a mistake and thus get the final solution wrong.

Likes pairofstrings
Looking at the sin cos expression its hard to picture its graph but looking at sin 2x I know immediately that it will look like a sin x graph but with a doubled cycle in the domain of 0 to 2pi

Its the same reason for recasting a linear equation into y = mx + b form so that you can get the y intercept and the slope immediately and can draw the graph.

Likes pairofstrings

1. What is the purpose of simplifying a question in math?

Simplifying a question in math allows us to break down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This makes it easier to understand and solve the problem.

2. How does simplifying a question help in problem-solving?

Simplifying a question helps in problem-solving by identifying the key components of a problem and eliminating unnecessary information. It also allows us to use known mathematical rules and operations to find a solution.

3. Can simplifying a question change the answer?

Yes, simplifying a question can change the answer. In some cases, simplifying a question can lead to a more accurate and precise answer. However, it is important to ensure that the simplification process does not alter the original meaning of the question.

4. Is simplifying a question always necessary in math?

No, simplifying a question is not always necessary in math. It depends on the complexity of the problem and the level of accuracy required. In some cases, solving a problem without simplifying it may lead to the same answer.

5. What are some strategies for simplifying a question in math?

Some strategies for simplifying a question in math include breaking down the problem into smaller steps, identifying and eliminating unnecessary information, and using known mathematical rules and formulas. Visual aids, such as diagrams or charts, can also help simplify a question.