What is the volume of these special n-dimensional ellipsoids?

• Thread starter jstar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the individual is seeking help in finding the volume of an n-dimensional ellipsoid. However, the matrix used to calculate the principal axis is singular, which may seem unusual. The linked PDF provides an explanation, but the individual lacks a background in geometry, algebra, or vector-spaces. The question can be found in a separate document, and any assistance would be greatly appreciated. The individual has offered a dinner reward for a solution, but this has been met with criticism in another forum. It is clarified that this is a part of a larger research project and not a homework or contract assignment.
jstar
I am in need to know the volume of a n-dimensional ellipsoid, but the matrix from which the principal axis are calculated is a singular system. This might sound strange, nevertheless, the explanation in the linked pdf will show you what I am talking about.

I guess that the solution is pretty easy for perople with a background from geometry, algebra, or vector-spaces, but I lack of a background in the respective fields of mathematics.

Since the question is pretty long I found it more convenient for you to formulate it in a http://www.energyefficiency.at/dokumente/upload/ellipsoid-volume-question_9ea7d.pdf. Nevertheless, if forum members wish that I write it in here I will do of course.

Any ideas are highly appreciated!

Kind Regards, Johannes
PS: I asked this question in another forum and offered a dinner to the person who helps me with the solution, but I was almost immediatly thrown out since people found I would ruin the spirit of the forum with that behaviour (so I won't make that same failure here again ;-) ). Thus, just to be clear: the solution to the above problem is the last unsolved part in a larger private reaseach effort in applied statistics. So its not a homework or contract work or anything alike.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
solved - thx

Related to What is the volume of these special n-dimensional ellipsoids?

1. What is an n-dimensional ellipsoid?

An n-dimensional ellipsoid is a geometric shape that resembles a flattened or elongated sphere and has n dimensions, where n is any positive integer. It is defined by a set of equations that describe the distance from a center point to any point on the surface of the ellipsoid.

2. How is the volume of an n-dimensional ellipsoid calculated?

The volume of an n-dimensional ellipsoid is calculated using the formula V = (4/3) * π * a * b * c * ... * n, where a, b, c, etc. are the semi-principal axes of the ellipsoid. In simpler terms, it is the product of the semi-principal axes, multiplied by a constant factor (4/3) and the value of pi (π).

3. Can the volume of an n-dimensional ellipsoid be negative?

No, the volume of an n-dimensional ellipsoid cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of the amount of space an object occupies, and it is always a positive value. Even if the ellipsoid has an imaginary axis or a negative semi-principal axis, the volume will still be positive.

4. What is the relationship between the dimensions and volume of an n-dimensional ellipsoid?

The dimensions of an n-dimensional ellipsoid refer to the number of axes that define its shape. The volume, on the other hand, is a measure of the space occupied by the ellipsoid. As the number of dimensions increases, the complexity of the shape also increases, and so does the volume.

5. How is the volume of an n-dimensional ellipsoid affected by changes in its dimensions?

Changes in the dimensions of an n-dimensional ellipsoid can significantly affect its volume. For example, if one of the semi-principal axes is doubled, the volume will increase by a factor of 8 (2*2*2). Similarly, if one of the axes is halved, the volume will decrease by a factor of 1/8 (1/2*1/2*1/2). However, these changes can vary depending on the specific values of the axes and the number of dimensions.