What jobs await me after a bachelor's in physics?

In summary, while studying physics may not lead directly to a professional degree, it does provide a strong education in problem-solving. Many physics graduates go on to various careers such as programming, engineering, meteorology, health physics, radiation therapy, financial advising, entrepreneurship, teaching, military, and laboratory work. Additional training may be required for some of these fields, but the skills learned in studying physics are valuable in a wide range of job opportunities.
Sean1218
I'm not interested in teaching. What about after a master's? A PhD?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jobs don't really sit around and wait for you. You have to go out and hunt them down.

Physics will give you an education. It will teach you how to solve problems. But it is not, in an of itself a professional degree.

That being said, people who study physics go on to do all sorts of interesting jobs. Sometimes additional training is required, sometimes they jump right in. Fields that I've seen people go into after a bachelors's degree include:
- programming
- engineering (in the US)
- meteorology
- health physics (radiation safety)
- radiation therapy (with additional training)
- financial advising
- entreprenurial ventures
- teaching
- careers in the military
- lab assistant/technician

And that's just off the top of my head.

Related to What jobs await me after a bachelor's in physics?

1. What industries can I work in with a bachelor's in physics?

Physics graduates have a wide range of industries to choose from, including aerospace, energy, healthcare, technology, and finance. They can also work in research and development, teaching, and government agencies.

2. What specific job titles can I expect with a bachelor's in physics?

Some common job titles for physics graduates include research scientist, data analyst, engineer, technical writer, laboratory technician, and teacher. However, the skills gained from a physics degree can also lead to roles in finance, law, and consulting.

3. What skills do I gain from a bachelor's in physics that are applicable to the job market?

A physics degree provides a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, mathematical and computational skills, data analysis, and experimental design. These skills are highly valued in various industries and can be applied to a wide range of job roles.

4. Is further education necessary for a career in physics?

While a bachelor's degree in physics can lead to many job opportunities, further education is often necessary for more advanced roles in research or academia. Many physics graduates go on to pursue a master's or Ph.D. in physics or a related field.

5. What salary can I expect with a bachelor's in physics?

The salary for a physics graduate varies depending on the specific job, industry, and location. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers was $122,220 in May 2020. However, salaries can range from $60,000 to over $200,000 depending on experience and position.