What kinds of internships in biotech/Med should I look for?

• Biology
  • Thread starter TranscedentKid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internships
In summary, the person is interested in human enhancement through gene therapy, electronic prosthetics, and medical devices. They are also interested in the business and entrepreneurial aspects of these technologies. They are seeking advice on what type of internships to look for. The conversation also touches on the current state and future possibilities of human enhancement through gene therapy, the field of electrical engineering in relation to electronic prosthetics, and the importance of understanding the specific nature of medical devices. The person is advised to further research and organize their thoughts before asking for specific suggestions. However, three suggestions are given, including working with CRISP/Cas9, building an electrical device, or interning at a company involved in medicine.
TranscedentKid
I'm on the pre-med path. My interest is human enhancement via gene therapy, electronic prosthetics, and both internal/external medical devices.

I'm also interested in the creative business and entrepreneurial ends of these technologies.

Any advice on what specific kinds of internships I should look for?

Physics news on Phys.org
Human enhancement through GM is not going to happen in a long long time.

Electronic prosthetics is electrical engineering.

Medical devices depend on the nature of that device. MRI depends on being an expert in the physics of NMR, for example.Maybe you need to research this some more, reorganize your thoughts, then ask the same question in a different way.
But maybe I can give three different suggestion.

-Look into some project using CRISP/Cas9. Molecular biology is a field on it's own. CRISP/Cas9 can be the subject of research or just a tool. But when you are interested in gene therapy, this is currently the most interesting thing. Besides that, maybe Adeno-associated virus. Either way you can get some sense of gene expression and regulation, promoters, proteins, central dogma of biology and it's nuances.

-Get a project where you work on building an (electrical) device. Any device. You aren't in an engineering programme, right? And not sure if you have the right background. But if you want to be an engineer working on a small aspect of building a device, best way is to do it. Note that the building of a device will be cut up into 100 pieces, and they will all be solved/completed independently.

-Get any internship at any company involved in medicine that does stuff you find interesting.

1. What are the different types of internships available in biotech/med?

There are various types of internships in biotech/med, such as research internships, clinical internships, marketing internships, regulatory affairs internships, and product development internships. Each type of internship offers a unique experience and can help you gain valuable skills and knowledge in specific areas of biotech/med.

2. How do I determine which internship is right for me?

Consider your interests, skills, and career goals when deciding on an internship. Research the different types of internships available and their requirements. Additionally, networking with professionals in the field and seeking advice from career counselors can help you make an informed decision.

3. What qualifications do I need for biotech/med internships?

The qualifications for biotech/med internships vary depending on the specific position and company. Generally, internships in this field require a strong academic background in biology, chemistry, or a related field. Relevant coursework, research experience, and technical skills are also highly valued.

4. Are internships in biotech/med paid?

Some internships in biotech/med may be paid, while others may not offer monetary compensation. However, even unpaid internships can provide valuable experience and networking opportunities. It is important to consider the potential benefits and weigh them against any financial constraints.

5. How can internships in biotech/med benefit my career?

Internships in biotech/med can provide hands-on experience, networking opportunities, and exposure to the industry. They can also help you develop essential skills, gain knowledge of current technologies and techniques, and make valuable connections that can lead to future job opportunities.