What liquid has ideal thermal properties for this project?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a copper tubing system to circulate cold water and cool it with a block of ice that can be easily replaced. The speaker also considers using a different liquid with slower melting properties and mentions the qualities of water that make it an ideal choice. The conversation also briefly mentions using a heat pump as an alternative. The potential issue of volume expansion when freezing ice in a rigid metal container is also mentioned.
Alexandermonk
I want to circulate cold water through copper tubing curled in a spiral about a fan. I'll cool the water with a large block of ice that I can remove and replace like a battery. To avoid making a mess I can freeze the ice inside of a copper housing, and pump the water in copper tubes around that housing to make it removable.
I'm wondering if there's a better choice of liquid than water for this? One that would melt slower, thus, need to be replaced less often? Also, what would that quality be called?

Science news on Phys.org
Also, what would that quality be called?
Latent heat of fusion together with heat capacity. For a temperature around 0°C, water should be ideal. It has very high values for both. In addition, it is cheap, not toxic and easy to store and replace.

Why do you need such a system? Did you consider a heat pump?

Alexandermonk said:
To avoid making a mess I can freeze the ice inside of a copper housing, and pump the water in copper tubes around that housing to make it removable.

Remember that ice occupies about 10% more volume than water. If you burst your "copper housing" you will certainly make a mess!

The volume expansion doesn't matter much if you are freezing ice cubes in a flexible plastic tray, but freezing a large block of ice in a rigid metal container is a different situation.

1. What is the specific heat capacity of the liquid?

The specific heat capacity of a liquid is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of the liquid by one degree Celsius. It is an important factor in determining the thermal properties of a liquid for a particular project.

2. How does the thermal conductivity of the liquid affect its suitability for the project?

The thermal conductivity of a liquid is a measure of how well it can transfer heat. A liquid with high thermal conductivity will be able to dissipate heat more efficiently, making it a better choice for projects that require rapid heat transfer.

3. Is the liquid flammable or toxic?

Safety is a crucial consideration when selecting a liquid for a project. Flammable or toxic liquids should be avoided, as they can pose a risk to both the project and the individuals working on it.

4. Does the liquid have a wide temperature range for its liquid state?

The temperature range at which a liquid remains in its liquid state is an important factor to consider. A liquid with a wide temperature range will be more versatile and suitable for a variety of projects.

5. What is the viscosity of the liquid?

The viscosity of a liquid is a measure of its resistance to flow. A liquid with high viscosity will flow more slowly, while a liquid with low viscosity will flow more easily. The viscosity of the liquid should be taken into account when selecting it for a project, as it can affect the efficiency of heat transfer and other factors.