What Magnets are best to demonstrate deceleration?

In summary, dropping a cylindrical magnet with a diameter just slightly smaller than the Internal Diameter of the pipe would be best, because it won’t tumble. Also, if there is any way to cut a slot down the length of the tube on one side, it makes the demonstration more impressive, as the students will be able to actually watch the magnet fall in slow motion.
ham1
Hello
I'd like to demonstrate to students how a magnet is slowed when falling through a copper pipe due to generation of magnetic force. What type of magnet should I use? ShouId it be cylindrical or flat? Which way shouId it be magnetized? I have 3/4 inch pipe.
Thanks
ham1

Physics news on Phys.org
Any that don't jam or tumble in the pipe work. The stronger the field per unit mass the slower it goes. For instance a magnetized nail is not going to be very impressive, whereas a rare Earth magnet is.

As part of the demonstration, try it with two identical magnets. Drop one thru the pipe while the other is simultaneously dropped in free air. Keep them far enough apart (arms length) that they don't interfere with each other.

To get their interest you could call it a curiosity with minimal introduction and no explanation; then ask for explanations. Of course if it is college level someone will know why, whereas grade schoolers probably won't.

Have Fun!
Tom

Likes davenn and anorlunda
It seems that a cylindrical magnet with a diameter just slightly smaller than the Internal Diameter of the pipe would be best, because it won’t tumble. Also, if there is any way to cut a slot down the length of the tube on one side, it makes the demonstration more impressive, as the students will be able to actually watch the magnet fall in slow motion.

Another nice addition would be to drop a cork or other lightweight object similar to your magnet in size and shape, so they can see that it drops fast.

If you cut a slot down the length would it still work?

Likes davenn
profbuxton said:
If you cut a slot down the length would it still work?

I don't see how. How does the current flow?

I recommend an N52 cylindrical neodymium magnet that as said above is slightly smaller in diameter than the pipe is

The slots are a judgement call. They improve visibility, but the breaking effect is slightly diminished. So long as the slot does not go the entire length of the tube, a counter emf is still generated.

But dropping a non-magnetic “control” object really brings the point home, IMHO.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=R828

This is a rare Earth magnet that is fairly strong. We purchased 100 of them for experiments testing magnetoreception in fish and discovered it in three new species. They also work well for a number of other applications requiring a strong magnet for physics labs and demonstrations, including slowing when dropped through a non-magnetic conducting pipe. These have a hole in them, because we wanted to be able to connect them securely to fishing equipment. There is a slightly stronger magnet available without the hole:

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D88-N52

I tend to recommend the version with the hole. The hole has not been a problem for any experiments or demonstrations, but it is handy for attaching to non-magnetic stuff. Once you have some of these, you'll think of other neat things to do with them.

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't see how. How does the current flow?
The currents are little eddies. They don't go around the circumference. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Eddy_currents_due_to_magnet.svg
Eddy_currents_due_to_magnet.svg

anorlunda said:
The currents are little eddies. They don't go around the circumference.https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Eddy_currents_due_to_magnet.svg
Eddy_currents_due_to_magnet.svg
I'm desperately trying to figure out how that image relates to a bar or cylindrical magnet being dropped lengthways down a tube ??
It shows a magnet end on to some sort of "S" shaped surface. Doesn't really show a magnet going down a tube

So the point is ... how does the eddy current formation of the above image vary from the magnet in a tube scenario, where the
magnet sides are parallel ( not end) on to the tube

eg...

upload_2018-12-5_7-42-39.png
A Vs B ... your quoted image infers a B setup

My initial thought was the same as V50's

I would suggest that "A", is more stable as in "B" the magnet is more likely to want to tumbleDave

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-5_7-42-39.png
    upload_2018-12-5_7-42-39.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 499
Tom.G said:
As part of the demonstration, try it with two identical magnets. Drop one thru the pipe while the other is simultaneously dropped in free air. Keep them far enough apart (arms length) that they don't interfere with each other.

... drop the second magnet down a plastic tube of the same internal diameter, rather than in free air, that way air resistance within
a confined space ( the tube) can be truly accounted for.Dave

Likes Tom.G

1. What are magnets?

Magnets are objects that produce a magnetic field, which is a force that can attract or repel other objects made of certain materials, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt.

2. How do magnets demonstrate deceleration?

Magnets can demonstrate deceleration by exerting a force on moving objects, slowing them down. This is because the magnetic field created by the magnet interacts with the moving object's own magnetic field, causing a resistance force that opposes its motion.

3. What types of magnets are best for demonstrating deceleration?

Electromagnets are the best type of magnets to demonstrate deceleration. They are made of a coil of wire with an electric current running through it, which creates a magnetic field that can be turned on and off, making it easier to control and demonstrate deceleration.

4. What are some examples of using magnets to demonstrate deceleration?

One example is using an electromagnet to slow down a metal ball rolling down a ramp. The ball will experience a deceleration force from the electromagnet as it moves closer to it. Another example is using magnets to slow down a model train as it approaches a stop sign on a track.

5. Can magnets be used to demonstrate deceleration in real-world applications?

Yes, magnets are used in many real-world applications to demonstrate deceleration. For example, they are used in magnetic brakes to slow down and stop trains and roller coasters. They are also used in generators to convert kinetic energy into electrical energy, which demonstrates deceleration of the moving parts.