What method does COMSOL use to interpolate post processing data?

In summary, the conversation revolves around computing potentials in a volume conductor and using the File->Export->Post Processing Data function to obtain potentials at arbitrary locations. The method and order used by COMSOL to interpolate these potentials is discussed, with suggestions to use higher order elements for better accuracy. However, it is also noted that there is a trade-off between element order and number of elements, and using extremely high order elements may not always be necessary or beneficial.
mjb7
I'm computing the potentials in a volume conductor. I can get the potentials at any arbitrary location using the File->Export->Post Processing Data. Anybody know what method (and its order) COMSOL uses to interpolate the potentials at the arbitrary locations?

Engineering news on Phys.org
try post processing, subdomain integration, and click the help button. it will probably answer your questions, but I am not sure. I've never used the export tool except for meshes

It will depend on what order element is being used for the finite element model. First-order (no mid-side nodes) will be a linear interpolation, while single mid-side nodes will allow for a quadratic interpolation across each element.

i suggest using the highest order you can... quartic i think? Tax ur computer like crazy and see comsols full potential. I ran my quad core at 100% all night once and got nowhere. I was sad because i probably cut like a year off my computers life haha.

Nick Bruno said:
i suggest using the highest order you can... quartic i think? Tax ur computer like crazy and see comsols full potential. I ran my quad core at 100% all night once and got nowhere. I was sad because i probably cut like a year off my computers life haha.

That is of course a waste. There is a trade-off between the order element being used and the number of elements in the model; usually, it's better to use more lower-order elements than fewer higher-order elements, but it will vary from case to case. I seriously doubt quartic elements are necessary in any problem. Ever.

lol sorry if u didnt pic up on my sarcasm

Related to What method does COMSOL use to interpolate post processing data?

1. What is the interpolation method used by COMSOL for post processing data?

COMSOL uses a piecewise polynomial interpolation method for post processing data. This method divides the data into smaller sections and fits a polynomial curve to each section, providing a smooth representation of the data.

2. How accurate is the interpolation method used by COMSOL?

The accuracy of the interpolation method used by COMSOL depends on the number of data points and the degree of the polynomial used. Generally, higher degrees of polynomials and more data points result in a more accurate interpolation.

3. Can I choose the interpolation method for my post processing data in COMSOL?

Yes, COMSOL allows you to choose from a variety of interpolation methods for post processing data, including linear, cubic, and spline interpolation. You can select the appropriate method based on your data and accuracy requirements.

4. Does the interpolation method affect the speed of post processing in COMSOL?

Yes, the interpolation method used can have an impact on the speed of post processing in COMSOL. Generally, simpler interpolation methods such as linear interpolation are faster, while more complex methods like spline interpolation may take longer to compute.

5. Is the interpolation method used by COMSOL suitable for all types of data?

The interpolation method used by COMSOL is suitable for most types of data, including 1D, 2D, and 3D data. However, for irregular or scattered data, other interpolation methods such as kriging may be more suitable.