What next for manual gearbox design engineers?

In summary: I have no idea what the career prospects are for a mechanical engineer with your level of experience.In summary, the conversation is about a mechanical design engineer with expertise in gears and NVH, who is concerned about the decrease in research and development for manual transmissions in the automotive industry. The engineer is considering upgrading their skills and moving towards mechatronics for better career prospects, but is unsure of the steps to take or if it can be done through part-time or online education while still working. They are seeking practical advice for their situation.
k.udhay
Simple questions are sometimes difficult to ask.

I am a mechanical design engineer of automotive gearboxes with a UG qualification and 12 years of experience. My core expertise is into gears and special interest in NVH. In the recent years I see the automotive OEMs cutting down research cost of manual transmissions and that's apparently giving me chills. More funding is diverted to advanced technology transmissions like AMT and DCT. One important thing I found here is the design team consists a huge proportion of people from software, Fuzzy (not sure about spelling), controls etc. compared to the mechanical engineers. The nearly there electric vehicles revolution is only making my apprehension worse.

The message to me I think is clear - I should upgrade myself. It is not wise continue only as a mechanical engineer and definitely not as transmission design engineer. My general discussion with many colleagues tell me that moving to a mechatronics field with this experience in background has a good career prospect. To me however, it is not clear what exactly I should do to move towards that - What are the good options that will allow my past experience also to have a value addition to my new profile? What should I study to move to such positions? Can I do them as a part time or online education, so that I am still able to earn when I do it?

I hope I have explained my situation to a decent level. If you have practical advise(s) can you pl. leave them here?

Physics news on Phys.org
k.udhay said:
In the recent years I see the automotive OEMs cutting down research cost of manual transmissions and that's apparently giving me chills.
Not only are auto manufacturers cutting research expenditures, they are also cutting way back on the number of cars with manual transmissions. I think I read somewhere recently that the percentage of new US-produced cars in 2020 with manual transmissions was something like 6%.

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for what you could do to enhance your qualifications.

Likes Vanadium 50 and k.udhay

What are some new technologies being implemented in manual gearbox design?

Some new technologies being implemented in manual gearbox design include dual-clutch transmissions, continuously variable transmissions, and automated manual transmissions.

How do manual gearbox design engineers ensure durability and reliability in their designs?

To ensure durability and reliability, manual gearbox design engineers use advanced materials, conduct rigorous testing, and incorporate safety measures such as overload protection and temperature control.

What considerations do manual gearbox design engineers take into account when designing for different types of vehicles?

Manual gearbox design engineers consider factors such as vehicle weight, engine size and power, intended use, and desired performance when designing for different types of vehicles.

What impact do environmental regulations have on manual gearbox design?

Environmental regulations play a significant role in manual gearbox design, as engineers must ensure their designs meet emissions standards and improve fuel efficiency.

How are manual gearbox design engineers addressing the shift towards electric and hybrid vehicles?

Manual gearbox design engineers are exploring alternative transmission options, such as electric continuously variable transmissions, to meet the specific needs of electric and hybrid vehicles.