What percent more is one percentage than another?

• MHB
  • Thread starter olive99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Percent
In summary, a person is writing a work report and is trying to determine the percentage increase between two values. The example given shows that 91% of those who feel part of a community are satisfied, while only 63% of those who do not feel part of a community are satisfied. The difference between these two percentages is 28%, showing that those who feel part of a community are 28% more likely to be satisfied with their experience.
olive99
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm writing a work report and trying to figure out what % increase there is between one percent and another.

The example I have is; 91% of those those who feel part of a community are satisfied with their overall experience, compared to 63% those who don't feel part of a community are satisfied with their experience.

I'd really like to be able to say those who feel part of a community are x% more likely to be satisfied with their experience, but I'm not sure how to work it out.

Any help and explanation would be great, thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi olive99 and welcome to MHB! :D

It's simple subtraction: 91 - 63 = 28, so those who feel part of a community are 28% more likely to be satisfied with their experience.

1. What does "percent more" mean?

"Percent more" refers to the difference between two numbers expressed as a percentage of the first number. For example, if one number is 50 and the other is 60, the "percent more" would be 20% (60-50=10, 10 is 20% of 50).

2. How do you calculate the percentage difference between two numbers?

To calculate the percentage difference between two numbers, subtract the smaller number from the larger number. Then, divide that difference by the smaller number. Finally, multiply the result by 100 to get the percentage. For example, if one number is 75 and the other is 100, the calculation would be: (100-75)/75 * 100 = 33.33%. This means that 100 is 33.33% more than 75.

3. What is the formula for finding the percent more of one number than another?

The formula for finding the percent more of one number than another is: (B-A)/A * 100, where A is the smaller number and B is the larger number. This will give you the percentage difference between the two numbers. For example, if one number is 40 and the other is 50, the calculation would be: (50-40)/40 * 100 = 25%. This means that 50 is 25% more than 40.

4. Can the percentage difference between two numbers be negative?

Yes, the percentage difference between two numbers can be negative. This occurs when the smaller number is greater than the larger number. For example, if one number is 60 and the other is 50, the calculation for percentage difference would be: (50-60)/60 * 100 = -16.67%. This means that 50 is 16.67% less than 60.

5. How can I use the concept of percentage more in real life?

The concept of percentage more can be used in many real-life situations, such as calculating discounts, markups, or salary increases. For example, if a product is on sale for 20% off, you can calculate the original price by dividing the sale price by 0.80. Similarly, if you received a 5% raise at work, you can calculate your new salary by multiplying your current salary by 1.05. Understanding percentage more can also help with budgeting and financial planning.