What prevents infinite potential with Nernst Equation

In summary, the Nernst equation predicts the potential (EMF) of a cell based on the concentration of ions on each side of the membrane. At very low ion concentrations, the predicted potential may tend towards infinity, but this is physically meaningless. The Nernst equation may lose accuracy at low ion concentrations, and other factors may start to influence the electrochemical behavior of the system. In a zinc || copper galvanic cell with a salt bridge, a potential of 0.1V can still be observed even with a concentration of 0M copper ions, as the copper ions still attract electrons in the cell.
Gama
The nernst equation has a log Q term. The denominator of that could be very close to zero. That would make Q close to infinity and log Q close to infinity. How high can the EMF be due to concentration in the real world and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Nernst equation is [itex] E = \frac{R T}{z F} \ln\frac{[\text{ion outside cell}]}{[\text{ion inside cell}]}[/itex].

As the concentration of ions on one side of the membrane goes down (towards zero), the driving force on ions on the other side of the membrane goes up- that's simple diffusion. Since the log function is sublinear, I'ts not clear what you are having problems with.

I wasn't thinking of membranes in particular. The log of infinity is infinity. My guess is the limiting factor is some other half reaction or diffusion of ions from one side of a battery to the other. Even if this is the case the Nernst equation makes it appear that a much higher voltage can be obtained from a concentration gradient than I think can occur.

I would imagine the Nernst equation loses accuracy at low ion concentrations. The physics would change and the equation would no longer be correct.

Wiki (not the most authoritative source, I realize) seems to agree:

At very low concentrations of the potential determining ions, the potential predicted by Nernst equation tends to ±infinity. This is physically meaningless because, under such conditions, the exchange current density becomes very low, and then other effects tend to take control of the electrochemical behavior of the system.

How would you explain a 0.1V current when the concentration of copper ions in solution is 0M ?

This is in a zinc || copper galvanic cell (with salt bridge) and the [Zn2+] is 1M?

I thought that the copper ions attract the electrons? Am I mistaken?

Related to What prevents infinite potential with Nernst Equation

1. What is the Nernst Equation and why is it important in scientific research?

The Nernst Equation is an equation used to calculate the equilibrium potential of a chemical reaction. It is important in scientific research as it allows scientists to predict and understand the behavior of chemical reactions and the movement of ions across a membrane.

2. How does the Nernst Equation prevent infinite potential?

The Nernst Equation takes into account the concentration gradient of ions, which is a limiting factor in the movement of ions. As the concentration gradient decreases, the equilibrium potential also decreases, preventing infinite potential.

3. Can the Nernst Equation be applied to all chemical reactions?

No, the Nernst Equation is specifically used to calculate the equilibrium potential of reactions involving ions. It cannot be applied to reactions involving non-electrolytes or reactions that do not involve ions.

4. Is the Nernst Equation affected by temperature?

Yes, the Nernst Equation is affected by temperature. As temperature increases, the equilibrium potential also increases. This is because temperature affects the rate of chemical reactions, which in turn affects the movement of ions.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Nernst Equation?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Nernst Equation. It assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account other factors such as the presence of other ions or the effects of pH on the equilibrium potential. It is also only applicable to reactions at equilibrium, so it cannot be used to predict the behavior of non-equilibrium reactions.