What puts the analysis in analytic number theory?

In summary, the person is interested in analytic number theory and believes that complex analysis is more important than real analysis (measure theory) in this field. They plan on taking a year of graduate complex analysis and are hoping to learn if measure theory and function space theory are necessary for analytic number theory or if tools from complex analysis and abstract algebra are sufficient. They also mention that eventually they will learn topics from a standard graduate real analysis course, but currently believe that complex analysis is the preferred choice for its applications in analytic number theory.
Poopsilon
I'm interested in analytic number theory and from what little I understand of it complex analysis will be more important than real analysis(measure theory). Thus I will be taking a year of graduate complex analysis this fall, however, I do also have the option of taking a year of graduate real analysis, but I would prefer not to for several reasons, so I was hoping someone could enlighten me on if a lot of measure theory and highbrow function space theory is really even that useful in analytic number theory, or if I can be content with tools drawn primarily from complex analysis and abstract algebra.

Edit: I guess I should clarify I will eventually get around to learning the topics covered in a standard graduate real analysis course, it just won't be right away, and I'm sure some of it will be crucial, I guess what I'm really asking is what types of analysis are the analytic number theorists finding to be their bread and butter.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Complex analysis would be a better choice as it finds more applications in analytic number theory than the 'functional analysis' type.

it depends what you try to read. possibly as an extreme example, andre weil uses haar measure on page one of his book "Basic number theory".

Related to What puts the analysis in analytic number theory?

What is analytic number theory?

Analytic number theory is a branch of mathematics that uses techniques from analysis, such as calculus and complex analysis, to study the properties of integers and their interactions with other mathematical objects.

What makes analytic number theory different from other branches of number theory?

Analytic number theory differs from other branches of number theory in that it relies heavily on methods from analysis, rather than algebraic or combinatorial techniques. This allows for a more detailed and quantitative understanding of the behavior of integers.

What techniques are commonly used in analytic number theory?

Some commonly used techniques in analytic number theory include the use of complex analysis, Fourier analysis, and probabilistic methods. These methods allow for the study of complex and seemingly random patterns in the distribution of prime numbers and other important integer sequences.

How does analytic number theory relate to other fields of mathematics?

Analytic number theory has connections to many other fields of mathematics, such as algebraic number theory, algebraic geometry, and cryptography. It also has applications in areas such as physics, computer science, and engineering.

What are some current research topics in analytic number theory?

Some current research topics in analytic number theory include the study of the Riemann zeta function and its connections to prime numbers, the use of random matrix theory to understand the distribution of zeros of certain functions, and the exploration of new connections between analytic number theory and other areas of mathematics.