What resources are there for RSA for the layman?

In summary, the RSA algorithm is a method of encryption that involves generating two large prime numbers and using them to create a public and secret key. The algorithm relies on modular arithmetic to encrypt and decrypt messages. A helpful resource for understanding the algorithm is the article "Fermat's Little Theorem" by V. Senderov and A. Spivak.
matqkks
I am looking for any resources which explain the RSA algorithm for the layman. I have found a number of sources but they all tend to end with a morass of technical details. This is for a first year undergraduate course in number theory who have covered some basic work on modular arithmetic.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I started with "A Concrete Introduction into Higher Algebra" by Lindsay Childs, Ch. 14. The chapter has a simple example. It' a little tough but try to muscle-through it. Good cooks try again.

matqkks said:
I am looking for any resources which explain the RSA algorithm for the layman. I have found a number of sources but they all tend to end with a morass of technical details. This is for a first year undergraduate course in number theory who have covered some basic work on modular arithmetic.

The steps of the algorithm in rough lines are

1 Generate two (large) prime numbers ##p_1, p_2## // steps 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 executed from server in advance
2 Take their product ##k = p_1p_2##
3 Let function ##f## be such that ##m = f(k) = (p_1 - 1)(p_2 - 1)##
4 Choose a prime number ##p_3## that is co-prime to ##m## with ##GCD(m, p_3) = 1## where ##1 \lt p_3 \lt m## // ##k , p_3## is the public key
5 Choose a number ##n## such that ##p_3n \pmod m = 1## //server keeps ##n, m## as its secret key
6 Encrypt message M: ##E = M^{p_3} \pmod k## // Browser encrypts the message using this formula and creates the encrypted E message
7 Decrypt message E: ##M = E^n \pmod k## // Server uses this math to decrypt E and effectively recover M

If you put some (preferably small in order to verify) numbers you can have a more practical sense about the algorithm.

I know of no better introduction than this excellent article to be found in an old Quantum magazine: Fermat’s Little Theorem (proving its value to mathematicians), V. Senderov and A. Spivak, May/Jun00, p14 (Feature)
http://static.nsta.org/pdfs/QuantumV10N5.pdf

Likes BvU

1. What is RSA and why is it important for the layman to know about it?

RSA stands for Rivest-Shamir-Adleman, which is a public-key encryption algorithm used in cryptography. It is important for the layman to know about it because it is widely used in securing sensitive information, such as online transactions and communication, and understanding its basics can help protect oneself from cyber threats.

2. Where can I find resources to learn about RSA for the layman?

There are various online resources available to learn about RSA for the layman, such as articles, videos, and online courses. Some recommended sources include Khan Academy, Coursera, and YouTube.

3. Can I understand RSA without having a background in mathematics or computer science?

Yes, it is possible to understand the basics of RSA without a background in mathematics or computer science. However, having a basic understanding of these subjects can make it easier to comprehend the underlying concepts of RSA.

4. Is RSA the only form of encryption used in cybersecurity?

No, there are various other encryption algorithms used in cybersecurity, such as AES, DES, and Triple DES. However, RSA is one of the most widely used and trusted algorithms for securing sensitive information.

5. How does RSA work and how is it different from other encryption methods?

RSA works by using two different keys - a public key and a private key - for encrypting and decrypting information. It is different from other encryption methods because it uses a mathematical function called the RSA algorithm to generate these keys, which makes it very difficult to break the encryption without the private key.