What Role Do Large Capacitors Play in Computer Power Supplies?

In summary, large capacitors serve a crucial role in computer power supplies by storing and delivering a steady supply of electricity to prevent power fluctuations and ensure stable and reliable performance. They also help protect sensitive components from damage caused by sudden voltage spikes or drops.
Jimmy87
Hi PF. This isn't really a homework question so I posted it here. We were supposed to find a list of devices which we found used capacitors for homework but I had some questions about the capacitors I found in an old Del PC. I have attached the picture to this thread. There seems to be a large collection of big capacitors (2200 microfarads) on the left side of the picture which have near them these green circles with coils wrapped aorund them. What are these green circles and what is the role of these specific capacitors in the computer?

I have a basic understanding of capacitors e.g. exponential decay, time constant, dielectrics, touched on displacement current and we have looked at some of the uses of capacitors (smooth lumpy dc voltage, provide quick bursts of energy, block dc component of ac current).

Many thanks for any help offered.

Attachments

• IMG_0791.jpg
    IMG_0791.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Likes 1 person
ModusPwnd said:
The coils of wire around green circles are not capacitors, they are inductors. They are "chokes", they filter out high frequency noise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_(electronics)

Thanks. Do you know what those large capacitors likely do?

Going by their location beside the cpu I'd say they're probably part of the voltage regulator module which is basically the power supply for the cpu. It takes the higher voltage from the main power supply unit and reduces the voltage down to around 1.5V and obviously makes sure its a very smooth voltage because of the sensitivity of the cpu chip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_regulator_module

Likes 1 person
trollcast said:
Going by their location beside the cpu I'd say they're probably part of the voltage regulator module which is basically the power supply for the cpu. It takes the higher voltage from the main power supply unit and reduces the voltage down to around 1.5V and obviously makes sure its a very smooth voltage because of the sensitivity of the cpu chip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_regulator_module

Please could you briefly explain how capacitors are used to reduce an a.c. input (or direct me to a source). Also, why would you use capacitors instead of a transformer to lower the input voltage?

Jimmy87 said:
Please could you briefly explain how capacitors are used to reduce an a.c. input (or direct me to a source). Also, why would you use capacitors instead of a transformer to lower the input voltage?

Capacitors do not reduce the voltage, they SMOOTH the reduced voltage. Transformers are what reduce the voltage from higher AC voltage to lower AC voltage, then a regulator circuit turns it into DC voltage and capacitors are part of the regulator circuit and help the final output maintain a smooth DC voltage.

Likes 1 person
phinds said:
Capacitors do not reduce the voltage, they SMOOTH the reduced voltage. Transformers are what reduce the voltage from higher AC voltage to lower AC voltage, then a regulator circuit turns it into DC voltage and capacitors are part of the regulator circuit and help the final output maintain a smooth DC voltage.

Where would the transformer to be located on the voltage regulator module in the picture?

Jimmy87 said:
Where would the transformer to be located on the voltage regulator module in the picture?

I don't see one.

Jimmy87 said:

The transformer in inside the Power supply unit a ~ 5 inch square (ish) box with 120/240VAC going in one side and many low voltage DC wires out the other side

attachment.php?attachmentid=71515&stc=1&d=1405995785.png

Dave

Attachments

• PCPSU.png
    PCPSU.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 484
Jimmy87 said:

If you read this, it explains what those capacitors, inductors and several other components on the motherboard are there for. Look at Figure 10 for something similar to that on your motherboard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_converter

It is worthy of note that while technically still sort of "alternating", computer PSUs are of a particular variety called "Switching Power Supplies", or "Switching Mode Power Supplies", usually simply called "SMPS" and behaves much more like a pulsed DC which is why they are also referred to as DC-to-DC power supplies. This is done mainly for efficiency and size reduction of the filtering components as the frequencies are extremely high.

If the common household 50/60 Cycle PSU delivering the typical 300-600 Watts required were used the bank of capacitors alone required for brute force smoothing sufficient to work for a computer would commonly exceed the size of most existing PSUs.

On your motherboard you will find 2 distinctly different looking kinds of capacitors. Those cylinders, often with a shiny, metallic top (also commonly gouged with an "X" on top) are of the brute force variety and easily distinguishable from their brethren, Surface Mount Component type. The latter is used primarily for time constants, isolation, etc. in signal lines as opposed to supply filters/reservoirs. Surface Mount components are commonly very small, where the largest can fit 8-10 of them on your thumbnail.

Here is a PC-specific web page of SMPS - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Anatomy-of-Switching-Power-Supplies/327

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What Role Do Large Capacitors Play in Computer Power Supplies?

1. What is the purpose of capacitors in a computer?

Capacitors inside computers serve as temporary energy storage devices. They are responsible for providing a steady flow of electricity to the components in a computer, which helps prevent power fluctuations and ensures smooth operation.

2. How do capacitors affect the performance of a computer?

Capacitors play a crucial role in regulating the power supply in a computer. Without them, the computer would experience frequent crashes and malfunctions due to inconsistent power flow. Therefore, capacitors indirectly contribute to the overall performance and stability of a computer.

3. Can capacitors inside a computer fail?

Yes, capacitors can fail due to various reasons such as overheating, voltage spikes, or age. When a capacitor fails, it can cause power supply issues and potentially damage other components in the computer. It is important to regularly check and replace faulty capacitors to maintain the health of a computer.

4. Are there different types of capacitors used in computers?

Yes, there are different types of capacitors used in computers, including ceramic, electrolytic, and solid-state capacitors. Each type has its own unique characteristics and uses, but all serve the same purpose of regulating and stabilizing the power supply in a computer.

5. How can I tell if a capacitor in my computer is faulty?

There are a few signs that can indicate a faulty capacitor in a computer, such as bulging or leaking, a burning smell, or visible discoloration. However, it is best to consult a professional technician for proper diagnosis and replacement if needed.