What should people know about becoming a patent attorney?

In summary, the conversation discusses the pursuit of a degree in electrical engineering and attending law school to become a patent attorney. The difference between intellectual property law and patent law is questioned, as well as the job market for patent attorneys and the importance of a master's degree in EE for job opportunities. The individual also asks for recommendations on law schools with a strong reputation in the field of patent law.
kevin dunnells
I have a few questions I am currently pursuing a degree in EE and want to attend Law school to become a Patent attorney.

1. What is the difference between IP law and Patent law?

2. You mentioned that it was hard to get a job in the field back in a post from 2012, have you noticed an increase in job openings with the increase in technology. If technology increases as what seems to be an exponential rate, does you see this as Patent Law being a field that is going to be growing and more demanding?

3. Obviously a MS is better than a BS do you find it necessary for an EE to have a MS in order to have a good starting job? Also i will have 8 months of experience, when I graduate, from co-ops. While in Law school do you see it to be better to try to get more experience in my summers off while in law school by doing more co-ops or internships, or do you think it is better to try to take courses in the summer to work towards a MS in EE an CE. If it is a 3 year program, i will have 3 summer off where i can take some classes towards a MS or gain potentially 9 months experience. A MS on top of my JD would be very expensive, do you see a return in the investment or if my law school is good enough do you think that will set me ahead enough.

4. What are some good schools for someone who is projected to get a 3.6 GPA in an EE degree and a 165 on the LSAT, I looked at some schools online and saw there average acceptance criteria, I guess a better question would be based off of your knowledge of well established schools are there any that come to mind that are very well respected in the Patent law field that could be within reach for me?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a patent attorney?

A patent attorney is a lawyer who specializes in intellectual property law, specifically patents. They are trained and licensed to provide legal advice and representation to clients seeking to obtain a patent for their invention or idea.

2. What qualifications do I need to become a patent attorney?

In order to become a patent attorney, you will need to have a science or engineering degree. This can include fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, or engineering. You will also need to pass the patent bar exam, which tests your knowledge of patent law and procedures.

3. What skills are important for a successful patent attorney?

A successful patent attorney should have strong analytical and critical thinking skills, excellent communication and writing abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to understand complex scientific and technical information. They should also have a thorough understanding of patent laws and procedures.

4. How does a patent attorney help clients?

A patent attorney helps clients by guiding them through the process of obtaining a patent for their invention or idea. This may include conducting a thorough patent search, drafting and filing the patent application, and representing the client in any legal proceedings related to the patent. They also provide legal advice and protection for the client's intellectual property rights.

5. What are the benefits of becoming a patent attorney?

Becoming a patent attorney can be a rewarding career choice for those interested in both science and law. It allows you to use your scientific background in a legal setting and help clients protect their innovative ideas. It also offers a high level of job stability and a potentially lucrative salary.