What should the null hypothesis be?

• Thread starter Tyto alba
  • Start date
In summary: I am sorry for the confusion.In summary, the conversation discusses a study on the effectiveness of an antipsychotic drug compared to a placebo in preventing relapse. The null hypothesis is that the efficacy of the drug and the placebo are the same, and any difference is due to chance, while the alternative hypothesis is that the drug is significantly more effective. This should be a one-tailed test.
Tyto alba

Homework Statement

In a study of effecftiveness of an antipsychotic drug, patients are treated with the antipsychotic drug and were compared to those receiving a placebo.
In terms of the number relapsing, 698 of 1068 patients were released after taking the placebo while 639 out of 2,127 relapsed after taking the antipsychotic drug,
Test the prediction that the antipsychotic drug is significantly more ffective in preventing relapse than placebo.(Have to apply Chi-square)

Homework Equations

What should the Ho and H1 be?

The Attempt at a Solution

As I know, the Ho should be that the observed data follows some theoretical model and any deviation(which will almost always be) is due to chance. But here since we have no theoretical model to compare our data with I have thought in this way:

Since H1 is often the hypothesis that the scientist is trying to prove and the Null could be set as what might be needed to disprove1?

So,

Ho= The effect of antipsychotic drug and the placebo is the same, any deviation/difference is due to chance.
Ha= The effect of antipsychotic drug and the placebo is not the same and the drug is significantly more effective.

1 This is what I presume, tell me if it isn't right (ideally with citation).

Physics news on Phys.org
SanjuktaGhosh said:
Ho= The effect of antipsychotic drug and the placebo is the same, any deviation/difference is due to chance.
Ha= The effect of antipsychotic drug and the placebo is not the same and the drug is significantly more effective.
Note that these two possibilities do not encompass all possible outcomes. The null hypothesis, ##H_0##, you've proposed is ##E_{drug}=E_{placebo}##, where ##E## is simply the efficacy of the drug/placebo, while your alternative hypothesis, ##H_a## states, ##E_{drug}>E_{placebo}##. What about if the drug is less effective? You haven't accounted for that possibility within your hypotheses.

Should this be a two-tailed test? Is there an authentic source online to learn it?

SanjuktaGhosh said:
Should this be a two-tailed test? Is there an authentic source online to learn it?
A two-tailed test is of the form ##\mu\neq\mu_0##. That is, you want to test whether or not the mean efficacy of the placebo is greater than or less than the mean efficacy of the placebo. In your case however, you only care if the drug performs better than the placebo (not worse).

I recommend reading this. It's a webpage from a chemistry course taught at the University of Toronto.

SanjuktaGhosh said:
Test the prediction that the antipsychotic drug is significantly more ffective in preventing relapse than placebo.
I disagree with vrbasic's recommendation. Based on what I quoted, the null hypothesis should be H0: Effdrug ≤ Effplacebo and the alternate hypothesis, Ha should be Ha: Effdrug > Effplacebo. This would be a one-tailed test.

Mark44 said:
I disagree with vrbasic's recommendation. Based on what I quoted, the null hypothesis should be H0: Effdrug ≤ Effplacebo and the alternate hypothesis, Ha should be Ha: Effdrug > Effplacebo. This would be a one-tailed test.
That is precisely what I was suggesting... I don't think it should be two-tailed. Sorry for any miscommunication.

vbrasic said:
That is precisely what I was suggesting... I don't think it should be two-tailed. Sorry for any miscommunication.
Sorry, what you wrote was clear enough -- I simply misunderstood it.

Related to What should the null hypothesis be?

1. What is the null hypothesis in a scientific experiment?

The null hypothesis is a statement that assumes there is no significant difference or relationship between two variables in a scientific experiment. It is often denoted as H0 and is compared to the alternative hypothesis (H1) to determine if there is a significant difference or relationship between the variables being studied.

2. How do you determine the null hypothesis in an experiment?

The null hypothesis is determined by examining the research question and identifying the variables being studied. The null hypothesis should state that there is no significant difference or relationship between these variables. It should be testable and measurable to allow for statistical analysis.

3. Can the null hypothesis ever be proven to be true?

No, the null hypothesis can never be proven to be true. It can only be rejected or fail to be rejected based on the results of an experiment. Even if the null hypothesis is not rejected, it does not necessarily mean it is true, as there may be other factors that were not considered in the experiment.

4. Is it necessary to have a null hypothesis in an experiment?

Yes, it is necessary to have a null hypothesis in an experiment. It provides a baseline for comparison and allows for statistical analysis to determine if there is a significant difference or relationship between the variables being studied. Without a null hypothesis, it would be difficult to draw any conclusions from an experiment.

5. Can the null hypothesis be changed during an experiment?

No, the null hypothesis should not be changed during an experiment. It should be determined before the experiment begins and should remain consistent throughout the experiment. Changing the null hypothesis mid-experiment may introduce bias and invalidate the results.