What the result of null added to itself?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinity and its relation to the value of zero. The conversation concludes that infinity is not a number and therefore cannot be used in mathematical operations, such as multiplication by zero. This is illustrated through the example of a point in geometry having no width, length, or height, and therefore cannot be multiplied by zero.
somok
TL;DR Summary
The null part added to itself will always remain the same as itself, namely null.
Hey,...

is that correct to say that "The null part added to itself will always remain the same as itself, namely null.""

In arithmetic, 3 * 0 = 0 + 0 + 0 = 0;

It is therefore healthy to extrapolate as follows:∞-1 * 0 = 0 + 0 + 0 +... + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 = 0
∞ * 0 = 0 + 0 + 0 +... + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 =0Edit: read ∞ instead of infinite

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is no number called "infinite".

you are right ... it is a mistake from me...

take ∞ for accountInfinity, denoted ∞, is not a number, but a concept or a phenomenon. We can, for example, say that the value of a variable x grows positively by taking larger and larger values; we will then say that x tends to infinity.

somok said:
you are right ... it is a mistake from me...

take ∞ for accountInfinity, denoted ∞, is not a number, but a concept or a phenomenon. We can, for example, say that the value of a variable x grows positively by taking larger and larger values; we will then say that x tends to infinity.
Perhaps formalize this a bit more clearly with limits.

Mayhem said:
Perhaps formalize this a bit more clearly with limits.

@Mayhem

stay focus to my initial question...plsis that correct to say that :

"" The null part added to itself will always remain the same as itself, namely null.""think about geometry if you have more facilities :

287871780_354384970137972_4149153341355854383_n.jpgTranslation: A point is that which has no part.
(Euclid's Elements)Euclid defines it as "that whose part is zero", that is, a dot has no width, length or height

. while A=0
. A=A * 0

does not end, yes. However, this does not allow you to write ##\infty \cdot 0=0## because ##\infty \cdot## is simply not defined. It is like discussing the shoe size of Big Foot - meaningless.

fresh_42 said:
. while A=0
. A=A * 0

does not end, yes. However, this does not allow you to write ##\infty \cdot 0=0## because ##\infty \cdot## is simply not defined. It is like discussing the shoe size of Big Foot - meaningless.
for sure

if A=0 so 0=0*0

it s not what I'm saying...pls...here is what i say...

3 * 0 = 0 + 0 + 0 = 0;

• Wow
Likes PeroK
somok said:
think about geometry if you have more facilities :

View attachment 302718Translation: A point is that which has no part.
(Euclid's Elements)Euclid defines it as "that whose part is zero", that is, a dot has no width, length or height

somok said:
here is what i say...

3 * 0 = 0 + 0 + 0 = 0;

Well, we cannot fill our pages with trivia.

Thread closed.

Likes Mayhem

1. What is the result of null added to itself?

The result of null added to itself is null. This is because null represents the absence of a value, so adding it to itself does not result in any change.

2. Is null considered a number in this context?

No, null is not considered a number in this context. In JavaScript, null is a primitive value that represents the absence of a value, and it is not treated as a number in mathematical operations.

3. Can null be added to other data types?

Yes, null can be added to other data types. However, the result will always be null, as null represents the absence of a value and cannot be combined with other data types in a meaningful way.

4. Does adding null to itself have any practical applications?

No, adding null to itself does not have any practical applications. It is primarily used as a placeholder or default value when a variable does not have a value assigned to it.

5. What is the difference between null and undefined in this context?

In this context, null and undefined are very similar as they both represent the absence of a value. However, null is a deliberate value that is assigned by the programmer, while undefined is used when a variable has been declared but not yet assigned a value.