What will happen if I assemble magnets with flush joints and the same polarity?

In summary, the assembly of these magnets creates a very strong magnetic field with almost equal field intensity at the edges of each segment. The material is highly coercive, so a vise is needed to force the assembly together.
danR
I cut some magnets into buckeyball-faced polyhedra and bond the pieces together so that all joints are completely flush. Assume the joints are perfectly planar-flush, and bonded with a monolayer of something with a small molecular size. Or better yet, the thing is assembled in a vacuum and the unoxidized faces bond together directly

The pieces all have with the same polarity outward.

What do I have?

Edit:The material is samarium-cobalt with very high coercivity. Just to make isolated local domains a wee bit harder to posit as the outcome.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't actually done this, because if you had you would notice that what you built is fairly non-magnetic.

Draw the field lines of the pieces. Where do the field lines go when you glue them together?

Vanadium 50 said:
You haven't actually done this, because if you had you would notice that what you built is fairly non-magnetic.

Draw the field lines of the pieces. Where do the field lines go when you glue them together?

1. Of course I haven't done it. It's a gedankenexperiment.

2. You tell me. It's high coercivity samarium-cobalt. Those lines will not be so easily dissuaded by mere assembly. Assembly can proceed several ways, but if I start by joining one piece to another, I have a somewhat wider single (slightly curved) plate-magnet with a north on one side of the plate and south on the other and the lines of force curving fairly normally around the entire assembly.

Continue from there, step by step. Eventually the pieces and the electrons and the lines of force start to realize: 'Hey, we've been duped!'

But it's too late. We have a ball with a North outside, and a South trapped inside.

Edit: I assume you will answer we have a rather warm metal ball with no magnetism whatever.

Or a Dirac pipe will form to let the flux flow from the North pole to the South.

Blibbler said:
Or a Dirac pipe will form to let the flux flow from the North pole to the South.

I didn't know Dirac smoked a pipe. You're thinking of a Bohr pipe?

C'mon, I want a serious discussion! If we assemble the sphere to the point of one segment missing, then we can picture the outside flux all curving around to inside the remaining hole. No problem.

What happens when we bond in the last piece? The field intensity is almost as high at the edges of each segment as its middle, the coercivity is high. Obviously we'll need a vise to ram it in, and perhaps the whole thing must be wrapped in duct tape. That would obviate the need for glue.

Since magnetic monopoles are not forbidden, and appear to answer much, I see no theoretical reason why the final assembly would not be a magnetic monopole. Does anyone say a monopole has to small? That it must be a single particle?

1. What is a mechanical 'monopole'?

A mechanical 'monopole' is a theoretical concept in physics that refers to a single point or particle that has a net force acting on it. It is often used in discussions about electromagnetism and quantum mechanics.

2. Why is the concept of a mechanical 'monopole' important?

The concept of a mechanical 'monopole' is important because it can help us better understand fundamental physical laws and phenomena, such as the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. It also has potential applications in developing new technologies.

3. Is a mechanical 'monopole' a real or theoretical object?

A mechanical 'monopole' is currently considered a theoretical concept, as there has been no definitive evidence of its existence. However, some scientists are actively searching for evidence of its existence through experiments and observations.

4. How does a mechanical 'monopole' differ from a magnetic monopole?

A mechanical 'monopole' and a magnetic monopole are two different concepts. A mechanical 'monopole' refers to a single point or particle with a net force acting on it, while a magnetic monopole refers to a particle with a single magnetic pole (either north or south) without an opposite pole.

5. What are some potential real-world applications of a mechanical 'monopole'?

Some potential applications of a mechanical 'monopole' include the development of new technologies for controlling and manipulating electric and magnetic fields, as well as improving our understanding of fundamental physical laws. It could also have implications for energy storage and transportation systems.

Back