What's the difference between Euclidean & Cartesian space?

In summary, a Euclidean space is a geometric space that follows Euclid's axioms, while a Cartesian space is the set of all ordered pairs of real numbers in a Euclidean space with rectangular coordinates. The terms are often used interchangeably, but strictly speaking, a Cartesian space refers to the coordinate system within a Euclidean space.
swampwiz

Mathematics news on Phys.org
swampwiz said:
One exists, the other doesn't.
One doesn't speak of Cartesian spaces. What you mean is probably Euclidean spaces and thus there is no difference, but only because you invented a term. One speaks of Cartesian coordinates in Euclidean spaces, which means the coordinate directions are pairwise perpendicular. Euclidean space mean, there is no curvature. E.g. the surface of the moon is curved and so no Euclidean space. The screen on which I read this now is flat, and thus Euclidean.

swampwiz said:
I've never heard the term "Cartesian space," but if I search for it on the web, I find some hits. More often I see "Cartesian coordinates."

From one of the definitions I saw, a Cartesian space is one of either two or three dimensions, in which the axes are mutually perpendicular.

A Euclidean space also has mutually perpendicular axes, but can represent spaces of higher than three dimensions.

Most likely authors are conflating the terms of Cartesian space to mean Cartesian coordinates in a Euclidean space.

jedishrfu said:
Most likely authors are conflating the terms of Cartesian space to mean Cartesian coordinates in a Euclidean space.
Better than what had happened to me here on PF. I innocently abbreviated orthonormal system ...

A Euclidean space is geometric space satisfying Euclid's axioms. A Cartesian space is the set of all ordered pairs of real numbers e.g. a Euclidean space with rectangular coordinates.

1. What is Euclidean space?

Euclidean space is a mathematical concept used to describe the three-dimensional world we live in. It is a type of space where the distance between any two points is defined by the Pythagorean theorem.

2. What is Cartesian space?

Cartesian space, also known as Cartesian coordinate system, is a mathematical concept that uses a set of coordinates to locate points in a two-dimensional or three-dimensional space. It is named after the French mathematician and philosopher René Descartes.

3. What is the difference between Euclidean and Cartesian space?

The main difference between Euclidean and Cartesian space is the way they measure distance. Euclidean space uses the Pythagorean theorem to calculate distance, while Cartesian space uses a coordinate system.

4. Which one is used in real-life applications?

Both Euclidean and Cartesian space are used in real-life applications. Euclidean space is commonly used in physics, engineering, and geometry, while Cartesian space is used in computer graphics, navigation systems, and mapping.

5. Can Euclidean and Cartesian space be converted into each other?

Yes, Euclidean and Cartesian space can be converted into each other. This is because they are different mathematical representations of the same physical space. For example, in two dimensions, a point in Euclidean space can be represented as (x,y) in Cartesian space, and vice versa.