What's the difference between Turing Machine and UTM?

In summary, a Turing Machine is a specific system for performing calculations, while a universal Turing Machine is a more general system that can perform any calculation by simulating other Turing Machines. While Turing Machines are not used for practical problem-solving, they provide a theoretical basis for modern computers that can run different programs for different tasks. This concept was groundbreaking in 1936 when it was first introduced by Alan Turing.
xeon123
1 - I'm trying to see what's the difference between a Turing Machine and a universal Turing Machine. Aren't the same?

2 - If I have a Touring Machine that to solve a problem, for example, adding numbers, what is the purpose of a Universal Touring Machine?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First, it is "Turing" rather than the "Touring" you have in a few places (I know- your fingers just want to go to the letters of more familiar words!). They are named for British mathematician Alan Turing.

A Turing Machine is a conceptual system for doing a particular calculation such as adding two numbers. A "universal Turing machine" is, just as the name would imply, a much more general system in which part of the input would tell the machine if it was to add, multiply, or something else.

A Turing machine takes an input string and according to its internal workings either produces an output string and halts, or calculates forever. As mentioned above, this kind of machine can be used to do things like adding numbers, finding circuits in graphs, and indeed (theoretically) anything that can be suitably represented and solved by a step by step procedure (this the Church-Turing thesis). A universal Turing machine 'U' is a special kind of Turing machine that takes as input a string containing both another Turing machine, T say, (in coded form - to define a UTM we require a method of encoding every TM uniquely), and another input string 'I'. U operates by simulating T on I, and its output (or failure to halt) will mimic exactly the output (or failure to halt) of T acting on I.

Turing machines don't solve practical problems, and I believe real computers are more closely related to unlimited register machines in the way they operate in practice (in theory though any calculation you can do on a computer you can do with a TM). You'll never meet a problem that you need a UTM to solve (unless you are working in theoretical computer science), but they provide a theoretical basis for general computing, that is, computers that can run different programs to do different things. Here in 2012 this is hardly surprising, as we have real computers that do exactly that, but in 1936 this was a profound idea.

1. What is a Turing Machine?

A Turing Machine is a mathematical model of computation that consists of a tape, a read/write head, and a finite set of states and rules. It is used to simulate any algorithm or mathematical function.

2. What is a Universal Turing Machine (UTM)?

A Universal Turing Machine (UTM) is a specific type of Turing Machine that is capable of simulating any other Turing Machine. It can also simulate any algorithm or mathematical function, making it a more powerful form of computation.

3. What is the main difference between a Turing Machine and a UTM?

The main difference between a Turing Machine and a UTM is that a Turing Machine can only simulate a specific algorithm or function, while a UTM can simulate any algorithm or function. In other words, a UTM is a more general and powerful form of computation.

4. How does a UTM simulate other Turing Machines?

A UTM has a special input tape that contains the description of the other Turing Machine to be simulated. It uses this input tape and its own set of states and rules to simulate the behavior of the other Turing Machine, effectively replicating its computations.

5. Can a UTM solve problems that a Turing Machine cannot?

No, a UTM cannot solve problems that a Turing Machine cannot. Both machines have the same computational power and can solve the same set of problems. The difference is that a UTM can simulate any Turing Machine, but it does not possess any additional computational abilities.